Visible Red Parasite Infecting Betta Gills?

Isabelle

Hello! My betta has recently been acting a bit strange--she's been lethargic, breathing heavy, and rubbing her gills against decorations in the tank. This morning I noticed this red, worm-like entity sticking out from under her gills and am now concerned that it is a potential parasite. Has anyone seen this before? 

Some background:

• I've had her for about 3 weeks and she lives in a planted tank with a bulldog pleco I added about 3 days ago (he seems to be doing ok)
  • I feed her Omega One betta pellets and occasional frozen blood worms
  • The tank is kept between 79°F and 80°F
  • There is an airstone for added oxygen

Water parameters:

• Ammonia: 0 ppm
  • Nitrite: 0 ppm
  • Nitrate: 0 ppm
  • KH: 0 ppm
  • GH: 30 ppm
  • pH: 6.5

Thank you!

IMG-3176.jpg

IMG-3177.jpg

Edited by Isabelle

I would treat with an anti parasitic medication like API general cure. Should do the job if it’s a parasite (which it looks like it is). Raising the temp up and adding a bit of salt can help too.

Edited by Zac
Typo

On 11/16/2021 at 10:33 PM, Zac said:

I would treat with an anti parasitic medication like API general cure. Should do the job if it’s a parasite (which it looks like it is). Raising the temp up and adding a bit of salt can help too.

I added one dose of Seachem ParaGaurd this morning since I didn't know what was wrong at first, but I do also have some Fritz ParaCleanse on hand--should I maybe start treating the tank with this instead? And could I leave my pleco in the tank while I start treatment?

I use Seachem Paraguard and have succesfully treated parasitic infections (mainly Ich). I believe either formula will act similarly, though I have no experience with the Fritz version. The pleco should be fine with either- I treated my Otos with Paraguard and they did fine (and no losses).

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX

On 11/16/2021 at 11:18 PM, Isabelle said:

I added one dose of Seachem ParaGaurd this morning since I didn't know what was wrong at first, but I do also have some Fritz ParaCleanse on hand--should I maybe start treating the tank with this instead? And could I leave my pleco in the tank while I start treatment?

Either should work fine and I would leave the pleco in there in case it is sick as well

Red worms protruding from gills what your describing I would treat with paracleanse 2-3 courses of treatment 2 weeks apart paragraud not very effective against flukes it will reduce the amount of parasites but unlikely to kill them all that's  why I recommend treating with paracleanse  if paracleanse doesn't do the trick you might need something stronger such as Fritz expel p active ingredient is levamisole @Isabelle

Edited by Colu