Breeding for profit Shout out!

Tedrock

I got paid cash - well a check.  

I really doubted that I will get to this point but I want to thank Cory and the Coop team for this video series and all informational videos.

It has taken over a year and a half, full of fish room drama.  Fits and restarts, driving to LFS all around New England, wondering if I would ever produce anything consistently.

Well I stuck to the formula - shrimp, guppies, and now plecos - with Java moss sprinkled in.  Started with shrimp and store credit for over a year.  Well over the weekend I got my first check as you can see in the pic.  I was a little surprised it actually happened.  I don’t want to be a total fanboy here but I will say I followed the suggestions or guidance from Cory in his series and it paid off, literally.  

Thank you again,

Tedrock

If people want to hear more specific things I learned in my experience I can share just let me know.

64E8347F-97FA-4D8C-BF2C-9428CA96318E.jpeg

Edited by Tedrock
  • Like 9
  • Love 3

On 11/16/2021 at 2:18 PM, HH Morant said:

Hey, I sold a bunch of young bristlenose plecos this weekend for $72! 🤑

But I am sooooooooooooooo far from making a profit. 😒

Maybe I will do better on my angel fry.

After all, tomorrow is another day!

It's not so much about making a profit as it is offsetting costs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/16/2021 at 2:18 PM, Tedrock said:

I got paid cash - well a check.  

I really doubted that I will get to this point but I want to thank Cory and the Coop team for this video series and all informational videos.

It has taken over a year and a half, full of fish room drama.  Fits and restarts, driving to LFS all around New England, wondering if I would ever produce anything consistently.

Well I stuck to the formula - shrimp, guppies, and now plecos - with Java moss sprinkled in.  Started with shrimp and store credit for over a year.  Well over the weekend I got my first check as you can see in the pic.  I was a little surprised it actually happened.  I don’t want to be a total fanboy here but I will say I followed the suggestions or guidance from Cory in his series and it paid off, literally.  

Thank you again,

Tedrock

If people want to hear more specific things I learned in my experience I can share just let me know.

64E8347F-97FA-4D8C-BF2C-9428CA96318E.jpeg

Congratulations! Isn't it lovely when a "how to" actually works?!

I am interested in what kind/s of guppies you raised and if your LFS expressed interest in any particular varieties. 

• Thanks 1

On 11/16/2021 at 6:13 PM, PineSong said:

I am interested in what kind/s of guppies you raised and if your LFS expressed interest in any particular varieties. 

You didn't ask me, but I'll answer anyway.  I've sold mixed guppies and dumbo mosaics at mine, because he already sells those.  I'm getting started with gold's, but he doesn't sell those currently, so I'll need to wait until I can bring about 6 dozen, which is his minimum for dedicating a tank to one strain.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/16/2021 at 7:10 PM, JettsPapa said:

It's not so much about making a profit as it is offsetting costs.

I totally agree this isn’t about making real money it is just supporting the hobby and help paying for the electric bill until I make a enclosed fish room I can heat separately.  That is what is killing me here in Massachusetts.  I switched to cool water fish to keep costs down but if I go heater-less, breeding slows to a trickle.  I have some tough cool water guppies.

• Like 1

On 11/16/2021 at 7:13 PM, PineSong said:

I started with half moon tiger mosaic guppies but learned you saturate a lfs clientele with niches guppies like this.  You have a window.  Then I spoke to mgr of stores who said primary colors move so I invested in Albino full red guppies, then Koi guppies.  Customers will buy these and I can sell them 30 every 3 weeks. 

I have found there are two main types of LFS guppy buyers.  “That is a cool color fish I want it” and then there is the “I want a High end guppy that most LFS or chain stores don’t carry.”  That is two types of guppy markets.  Both have their merits.  

6226BF61-2082-4691-B1CF-73DA62F64516.jpeg

024F0FD6-06EE-4157-ABEC-92CB00C039AE.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/16/2021 at 9:32 PM, Tedrock said:

I started with half moon tiger mosaic guppies but learned you saturate a lfs clientele with niches guppies like this.  You have a window.  Then I spoke to mgr of stores who said primary colors move so I invested in Albino full red guppies, then Koi guppies.  Customers will buy these and I can sell them 30 every 3 weeks. 

I have found there are two main types of LFS guppy buyers.  “That is a cool color fish I want it” and then there is the “I want a High end guppy that most LFS or chain stores don’t carry.”  That is two types of guppy markets.  Both have their merits.  

Thank you. I have been both of those buyers 🙂 Your tanks look full!

• Thanks 1