common pleco love

Sal

We accidentally got a common pleco 2 years ago when we originally set up our 55.  He was only 2" long at the time, and was sold to us as a clown pleco at a chain store.  We eventually figured out that he was a common and got worried about him being too big, but also couldn't bear to part with him (my kids had named him Roomba), so instead we set up the 120.  🤣

He's a good 8 or 9" long now, he causes no problems in my tank (aside from digging a hold under a log), and I know I am super basic in saying this, but I think he's my favorite fish.  He swims around like a graceful little shark, and he is super shy, so every day when it's feeding time everyone comes over to watch him come out...  He also snuggles with my corys, and it's freaken adorable.

Who else has a common?  

• Like 1
  • Love 3

I have 2 commons that were rescued with the Jack Dempsey cichlids that are now in my 75 gallon.  I believe both are male but juveniles at almost 12” each.  They were about 4” and 5” when I got them on April 29, 2020.  I can’t find a good pic from back that far.

Here’s a screen shot from a video from June 16 last year in the 55 gallon they had on arrival, now already nearly 6”.

Next pic from August surrounded by Jack Dempsey fry, near 8” here.

Finally in the 75 gallon after the redo, from July 26 of this year is the most recent pic of one in the middle, his buddy is at the far left, and both are at least 10”.

7235F5FB-8ED1-4F95-BA8D-ADC0B8D68F4A.jpeg

DE68425B-D337-40FE-977C-8FD4905EED16.jpeg

636FC02C-8962-4676-9A2E-1C296D0C9002.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Love 4

On 11/17/2021 at 2:32 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Someday I'll have a giant tank with 1 pleco and hundreds of small community fish. Not sure if it'd work, but it's my dream. 

It so far is working for me!  

Here’s Roomba, having an important meeting with a snail!  62C94F3C-9D48-4D34-9AC8-4F5CAA4CFD51.jpeg.d921a6070a1fb1b382d2194542730f25.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Love 4

On 11/16/2021 at 11:34 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

@Odd Duck They're looking amazing. I remember when you were redoing that tank, it's still one of my very favorites on the forum. I love those Plecos. They're like peaceful aquatic tank Dragons (I love me a dragon!)

Thank you!  I’m still very happy with how it turned out and with how it’s developing.  I only occasionally have to scrape the glass and parameters stay very nice with minimal nitrates. I was going to get you a fresh pic but nobody was cooperating with that idea.  Maybe tomorrow.

On 11/17/2021 at 1:32 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Someday I'll have a giant tank with 1 pleco and hundreds of small community fish. Not sure if it'd work, but it's my dream. 

I kind of have this effect with my 100 gallon with a gold nugget pleco as the largest (gets up to about 7”, currently about 5”) and nanofish where the largest mid to top water fish are CPD’s.

I do also have bristlenose plecos, a clown pleco in there somewhere that I see every 3-4 months, some bronze cories, and now some juvie Kuhli loaches.  Everything else above the bottom is smaller going down to chili rasboras as the smallest.  Since you don’t always see the plecos, the cories are the dominant bottom level, then all the tinies mid to top.

I had 2 clutches of Jack Dempsey babies in the tank with these common pleco boys and not a single time did I think they hurt any babies from hatching right on through.  Those 2 clutches ended up being between 1500 to 1600 fry!  There’s no way I got those numbers from only 2 clutches if anybody was predating on them at all.  The babies used to hover around them just like they did the parents.  Here’s a screenshot from a video during feeding.

30ED00B0-F230-4A3C-A30B-2DCA1F11FB62.png

Edited by Odd Duck
  • Like 2
  • Love 3

Hmmm, I’m wondering if one of my three BNs might be a common. Got them from my lfs (3 for sale). One seems to not have as many spots as the other two and is growing a little faster. All 3 are under the 2” mark. Is the one on the left common? None have bristles yet. 

3160421E-0F06-4139-BD2F-0F5C0BFEC136.jpeg

0F1E9B2F-5778-4CC5-A738-91A9F2E45A43.jpeg

I've had several commons.  My first and favorite was Leviathan.  Leviathan was 11 years and 16" when he passed.  You had to appreciate this prehistoric looking beast gracefully swimming among the small fish, surface surfing and going bump in the night.  You also had to keep a towel close by because he could move a lot of water when he wanted to.  My last common pleco was Snowplow. He wasn't very big, but it was fun to watch him rampaging around the tank cleaning, occasionally braking and uprooting the plants.

Leviathan1.jpg

Leviathan2.jpg

PLECO (2).jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 11/18/2021 at 1:18 PM, Stef said:

Hmmm, I’m wondering if one of my three BNs might be a common. Got them from my lfs (3 for sale). One seems to not have as many spots as the other two and is growing a little faster. All 3 are under the 2” mark. Is the one on the left common? None have bristles yet. 

3160421E-0F06-4139-BD2F-0F5C0BFEC136.jpeg

0F1E9B2F-5778-4CC5-A738-91A9F2E45A43.jpeg

They are bristlenose pleco

Edited by Colu
  • Love 1

With my first fish tank 29 gallons  and not knowing I got a common pelco I named him  Big Al  It was my favorite ..  But I did not have room to upgrade at the time  .. So gave the pelco  to nephew that had very large tank over 125-150 gallons he loved his new tank and tank mates  another pelco a catfish   ..   Broke my heart, but I get to visit him at times till he died he lived 14 years  .. And he still remembered me.

I live in a little bigger place now and have a 55 gallon and I made sure I got a bristolnose pelco this time he was the first fish I bought for the new tank to go with fish I already had.. He is my favorite fish .. Would like to get another Bristol nose, but I  read male bristolnose very territorial over their space but he gets along with my other fish though   

Edited by Bev C
  • Like 1