Opinions/comments/suggestions/input needed on my next move!

Karen B.

I have a community tank.

20 gallons high, 75f, 0/0/10, pH a bit low at 6.6 (working on raising it), idem for kh at 0. Gh at 8. 
Planted, HOB filter (aqueon quietflow 30) and medium size aquarium coop sponge filter.

Current population is :

1 honey gourami

7 Chili rasboras

6-8 false julii corydoras (6 adults, and babies appearing. Currently setting up a 5 gallons to transfer the babies there to raise them)

4 nerita snail

According to aquadvisor, here are my current stock level

7E219E48-8F9F-4527-B17A-175AEBE13021.jpeg.48dd7a1703c4fe98d55055d367b5a969.jpeg

I would like to add more Chili (about 10) because I have lost some ove the past year and I think a school of 7 is rather small.

And I am looking for a tank mate for my honey gourami. He doesn’t bond with the Chili and I know he used to have more fun when I had guppy in the tank. I tought about adding a female, which would bring me to these stats

605F6C1C-2513-4282-8797-9DFD662230F7.jpeg.4579e48ec0f4a8a61f5ae5d236e57b1b.jpeg

I already do 1 WC a week + gravel vacuum so no big change for me. But I am afraid my male gourami might get agressive toward the Chili…

So I am wondering…

Should I just add more Chili and let my Honey gourami be alone?

Should I find another tank mate for my honey gourami other then a female?

Am I overstocking the tank too much and asking for trouble?

• Like 1

Are you overstocking your tank?  A little, but with your good water change habits it shouldn't be an issue.  
I know a lot of people have a single honey for a centerpiece fish, and that tends to keep them a little less aggressive, so adding chilis and leaving it alone should be fine.   I love chilis and they have a minimal bioload.

Good luck!

• Like 4

On 11/16/2021 at 7:59 AM, GameCzar said:

Are you overstocking your tank?  A little, but with your good water change habits it shouldn't be an issue.  
I know a lot of people have a single honey for a centerpiece fish, and that tends to keep them a little less aggressive, so adding chilis and leaving it alone should be fine.   I love chilis and they have a minimal bioload.

Good luck!

Thanks for your answer! 
mMy only fear is that my honey gourami will feel lonely. Everywhere I read they are social fish…

• Like 1

Chili rasbora take up a very small footprint in the tank adding another 10 shouldn't be an issue the bacteria can't handle. As for the male gourami if it is not already a bonded pair you may have aggression issues. Gouramis prefer a group to establish a pecking order. If you do introduce another have a separation tactic ready in case they don't get long. Honey gouramis are fairly easygoing compared to other dwarf gouramis so I wouldn't worry too much, but gourami personality varies from fish to fish.

Also for your water parameters leave the pH alone and grab some carbonate salts (kh buffer). You just want the carbonate salts, crushed coral won't be as effective here. When you dose carbonate salts first dose to the size of the tank, then dose to the size of the water change. Your snails will also thank you for this as it is a component in which they use to build their shells. You will also likely find that your pH moves a bit when kh is added this is okay as well.

• Like 1

Never kept gourami's so can't comment on aggression but as already said adding more chilli's won't have much of an affect on water parameters.

I will add that other than adding some KH buffer it sounds to me like your water is spot on for breeding more chilli's rather than buying more. I'd avoid removing them from the tank incase the gourami gets used to them not being there. Break out the spawning mops!!!

• Like 1

On 11/16/2021 at 2:00 PM, JettsPapa said:

If your honey gourami is a male, and it sounds like it is, have you considered adding two females, and maybe only 4-5 chilis instead of 10?

I would love to, but it’s not adviced 3 honey in a 20 gallons from what I have read.

On 11/16/2021 at 1:56 PM, Karen B. said:

I would love to, but it’s not adviced 3 honey in a 20 gallons from what I have read.

You can find all sorts of advice out there.  I think a 20 gallon tank is plenty large for three honey gouramis, but you should do what you think is best.

• Like 1

On 11/17/2021 at 8:19 PM, Guppysnail said:

For your filter. If you use the carbon cartridge you can do much better to replace it with sponge media that never needs replaced. Here’s a great video this allows more stocking options without “asking for trouble”. Hope this helps 

Thanks for the video! I do use sponge, floss and bioballs in all my filter! Soooo much nicer then replacable cartridge 

• Like 1