UNS 60U Blackwater Tank | "THE ROOTS" Build Thread

Hello there! A little background info: 

Blackwater Tanks are always something I've wanted to do, and this year I decided to pull the trigger. Unfortunately the 1st scape of this Tank didn't work out so well, but over the past 2 weeks I overhauled everything, kept the good stuff and got some new things, and let's just say it's 1000x better than before! 

Recent day: I call this tank "THE ROOTS" since the main piece of wood is a Bantigue Root, which is a dried root structure of a Bantigue Mangrove Tree. This piece took a long while before it was water logged, but now that it's not going to float, I was able to put it the way I wanted to from the very beginning. 

My stocking plans for this tank aren't 100% finalized, but what I do know is: 

•10x Pygmy or Marthe Hatchetfish. These 2 are the smallest of the available Hatchetfish species I've seen, and 2 I've yet to keep. I think they'll fit in nicely, I'm just waiting out on them since I feel like I need wayy more surface cover for them to feel comfortable. 

•10x of a small Tetra or Rasbora species. A couple species I have in mind are: Ruby Tetras, Blue Green Rasboras, Neon Green Rasboras, Cardinal Tetras, Rummynose Tetras, Morse Code Tetras, and some others I have in mind. I'm not 100% yet on which species since there's soooo many to choose from, I'll just see what color would fit the best. 

•5x Parotocinclus Species: These are definitely going to be the highlight of the tank. I won't say which Parotocinclus species yet, but they'll be one of the 1st fish to go in. The species I'm getting is super special as it hasn't really been available in the hobby for quite a few years, and this years summer seems to have been the 1st large export of these fish from their region, and word on the street is that it'll also be the last for a few years so I'm definitely going to get my hands on some before they sell out and it's too late. I'll talk more about them when i get them Next Week! (Hopefully) 

TANK SHOTS: 

20211114_215413.jpg

20211111_221729.jpg

20211111_222040.jpg

20211111_222241.jpg

20211111_222137.jpg

20211111_222318.jpg

20211111_222710.jpg

• Like 6
  • Love 3

All the Specs and little details for the tank: 

•Tank: UNS 60 (20 Gallons)
•Equipment: Dymax Slim Flo 500, Oase HeatUp 100, Nicrew Gen2+
•Hardscape: Bantigue Root, River Stones, Poolfilter Sand, and a Coconut Hut
•Plants: Crypt. Wendtii Green, Dwarf Aquarium Lily, Java Fern Windelov, and Anubias Barteri Diamond (for now)
•Botanicals: Catappa Leaves, Jackfruit Leaves, Live Oak Leaf Litter, Swietenia Pods, Pyrifolium Pods, and Dregea Pods.

(Stores where the items were bought from include Aquarium Co-Op and other well known stores)

The 1st Picture is today (11/15/21) and at first there were No Tannins, but over the course of a couple days, the seed pods and leaves have all started to release Tannins. I really hope everyone enjoys what I have so far, and what I have planned for the future! Stay Tuned! 

Edited by Northwest Fish Keeping
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

On 11/16/2021 at 3:16 AM, Atitagain said:

Really looking good, great plan as well. The stocking options sounds interesting, makes me wonder how the neon green rasbora would look in blackwater?

good luck mate 

Thank you! I haven't seen much on them in Blackwater either, I know paula_underwater on Instagram has a decently big group in a Borneo Biotope with Stained Water and they look really happy. They're towards more of the bottom of my list right now but that could change in the future 

• Like 1

-Happy Wednesday (night I guess now? 😅) everyone! There's not a ton of updates on the tank except for the following: 

-WOW. The Wood has grown so much Biofilm these past few days. It did the same thing in the last scape, and glad to see it's doing the same in the new scape since this will act as a really good food for the Parotocinclus. 

-The Dwarf Aquarium Lily has grown a bit taller. I can't tell exactly but it looks a bit taller to me, still sprouting new leaves though! This thing is a machine, and only in Pool Filter Sand! No Root Tabs so far, probably soon though since some of the top leaves have some melt on them. 

-The 1st fish will be here this week! I'm still undecided on which species, but for sure a species of Tetra or Pencilfish. Only starting out with 6 for now, but will up the size to 10-12 depending on the species in the near future. Stay Tuned! 

20211117_135101.jpg

20211117_135114.jpg

20211117_135203.jpg

20211117_135301.jpg

20211117_135536.jpg

• Like 4
  • Love 1

On 11/18/2021 at 2:13 PM, Streetwise said:

Looking good, @Northwest Fish Keeping! How do you like that Dymax? I have several and they are nice and simple, and they fit some standard foam sizes.

Thank you! I like it so far. It was kind of noisy at first but I found out it was because there was air trapped so I just re-primed it and it's back to being completely silent! I'll have to add some bio media + Floss once the cartridges go out but other than that it's been pretty good so far! 

Happy Friday everyone! I hope you're all doing well, the fish come today! My Dad is picking them in Portland since he's down there for a business trip. Unfortunately I switched plans. At first I wanted Red Line Tetras or Hummingbird Tetras, but those species cost about $7-$8 per fish so they were quite spendy especially since I'm going after a group of 10. Maybe in the next Blackwater build 😞

In better news, Im going back to a highly underrated nano fish that has tight schooling behavior which was one of the things I was looking for, extremely cheap, and they absolutely glow in Tannin Water when they're happy and healthy. My Dad is picking up 12 since they're only $2 and they'll be the first additions to the tank. In the end, hoping for maybe around 15-17 since they only get 1" (1.4 max) and their bioload is low. I should be posting later today! 

• Like 3

@Northwest Fish Keeping; Your photo's look fantastic, the only Mangroves I've ever heard of are the Black mangroves, Red mangroves, and White mangroves, which are native to the US, where is the Bantigue mangrove from? Mangroves grow in brackish water, is the Bantigue mangrove root safe for freshwater tanks? How long will it last before it rots away? I ask because not all wood is safe for freshwater tanks and some only last for about a year before they rot down.

Cypress grows in freshwater systems all across the South and I've seen it growing as far North as the Delmarva Peninsula in MD and as far North as Reelfoot Lake in TN, but an online source says that they are not safe for our tanks, go figure.

The same online source says that unsafe woods are Cedar and other coniferous trees, Cypress, Grapevine, Horse Chestnut, Walnut, Yew, Lilac, and Ivy.

Safe woods are Alder, Apple, Cherry, Hawthorn, Beech, Heather, Oak, Sycamore, and Pear.

Now I have to learn more about the Bantigue mangrove so if you'll excuse me.

On 11/19/2021 at 1:06 PM, Gator said:

@Northwest Fish Keeping; Your photo's look fantastic, the only Mangroves I've ever heard of are the Black mangroves, Red mangroves, and White mangroves, which are native to the US, where is the Bantigue mangrove from? Mangroves grow in brackish water, is the Bantigue mangrove root safe for freshwater tanks? How long will it last before it rots away? I ask because not all wood is safe for freshwater tanks and some only last for about a year before they rot down.

Cypress grows in freshwater systems all across the South and I've seen it growing as far North as the Delmarva Peninsula in MD and as far North as Reelfoot Lake in TN, but an online source says that they are not safe for our tanks, go figure.

The same online source says that unsafe woods are Cedar and other coniferous trees, Cypress, Grapevine, Horse Chestnut, Walnut, Yew, Lilac, and Ivy.

Safe woods are Alder, Apple, Cherry, Hawthorn, Beech, Heather, Oak, Sycamore, and Pear.

Thank you! From what I was told, the Bantigue roots are "Surprisingly extremely resistant to rot" and I think that's held up so far from the 6ish months I've had it. Of course I'll have to see within the 1 year mark. I've had it in 2 other scapes with fish and it didn't affect anything. From google, it says that the Bantigue Mangroves are found on the coasts of tropical lagoons. Definitely look into them, they've got super awesome structure and I would imagine they would be awesome schoolers 

• Like 2

@Northwest Fish Keeping; Thank you, I did google Bantigue Mangroves and I was very surprised to learn that I lived on an island in the SW Pacific for three years where they grow. I learned that these Mangroves don't grow in water as the Black, Red, or White Mangroves do, but higher up on rocky shorelines which would explain why your roots look so craggy, which is great. I've probably seen millions of them and I didn't ask what they were. I also learned that your roots will last and look good for many years as these roots are, like Cypress trees, impervious to water rot. 

I can't find any of the Mangrove you have, but there are Oaks where I live, a Pear tree out front, a wild Cherry tree out back, an Apple tree on the other side of the Church parking lot next door, and Sycamores all over the place around here, I've just decided that I want to pick up some of the branches for all of my tanks. I've already gone down to the New River and picked up some river rocks that I think will look great along with some tree limbs.

Sincerely

Gator

• Like 1

Happy Saturday everyone! Hope your weekend is going well so far. I let the fish settle in last night, although it didn't take them long to feel comfortable. The fish I chose were: Emerald Eye Rasboras! These little guys were already schooling around within 10 minutes of being in the tank and are quickly becoming a favorite of mine with how tight they school. I don't have any good pictures of them in the tank, but here are some from when they were in the bag + maybe a video of them in the tank if it will send. 

20211119_160907.jpg

20211119_161342.jpg

20211119_161459.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 2

Hey everyone! Happy Tuesday! Almost Thanksgiving! Just wanted to give 2 updates: 

1. The Store in Portland where I'm getting the Otos from this weekend is also having a 10% off sale, so im going to get some other things too that I have other plans for which is exciting 

2. Unfortunately videos don't send on the forum but I was able to grab some stills from the videos i got of the Emerald Eye Rasboras feasting on some Live Baby Brine! 

Screenshot_20211123-153727_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20211123-153547_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20211123-153559_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20211123-153635_Gallery.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 2

On 11/23/2021 at 6:35 PM, Colu said:

Thoses are really nice rasbora love the eye colour really stands out in the dark water

For sure! I love their schooling act too, they're sort of like a mini rummynose, just minus the color and add a reflective eye to them 

On 11/23/2021 at 6:55 PM, Atitagain said:

Those are some cool pics, like @Colu said the eyes in that dark water. Very nice!!

You have to upload them to YouTube then link them. 

Thank you as well! 

I didn't know that, I always assumed that, that would be apart of Self Promo, I'll try it soon when I get the new fish 

• Like 1

Happy Monday everyone! I hope you all had a good Thanksgiving. I was in Portland this Friday-Saturday and got the chance to get some fish I've had on my bucketlist for a long time. While I haven't gotten any good shots of the other species yet, I'll introduce you to the fish I've been teasing this whole time: Parotocinclus Haroldi!! 

A relatively new and extremely rare species of Parotocinclus, these guys have only been exported a few times due to their geographical range of inhibiting a river in a Brazil National Park, so export is hard to do. It seems like this year there was a big export, and maybe they're starting to ease up, who knows. They don't have an official common name yet, but you'll sometimes see them listed as Snowball or Snowflake Oto, Starlight Oto, and these guys were listed as Galaxy Oto. 

So far, they've really enjoyed the Blackwater Tank. I got 4 of them, and maybe sometime down the road soon if they have more, I'll pickup another 3.

They've eaten blanched Zucchini so far, and eat algae and other bits of biofilm growing on the seed Pods, so they're definitely like a common oto. My Main goal is to breed these guys, I've already noticed a size difference where 1 is bigger than all the rest, so I'll keep an eye on the others while they grow. Here are some shots I was able to grab, I'm so excited I was finally able to get them! 20211128_171713.jpg.bad2d28b635ade7dcbb944af9fa9d3c5.jpg20211128_160531.jpg.12ae08c33614544913f1c6f88fdba490.jpg20211128_204606.jpg.bc2a9f2d373e8c05318e4532d76ba95d.jpg

• Like 4
  • Love 3

On 11/19/2021 at 4:06 PM, Gator said:

Most mangrove will grow in freshwater only. The reason they don’t is the get out Competed in a wild. There are lakes that in Florida no where near brackish water that have mangrove.

this is a freshwater breeder and you can see see many shots of mangroves growing. Cory mentioned  that even though there are livebears are being bred in fresh water. As for cypress I have it 3 tanks 55gal+ in Florida it is not legal to harvest cypress with out a permit. It will leach tannis but I find fish in those tanks are healthier. Where did you find the info on the cypress. 

• Like 1

Surprisingly I was able to get some decent shots of Species #2 so here we go! A group I've always wanted to keep but never had the proper setup to do so until now: Parasphromenus Gunawani. The "Blue Line Licorice Gourami" 

The Parasphromenus group has always intrigued me due to the males looking extremely stunning when they flair, but also because they're highly endangered in the wild (long story short, construction and human progression has destroyed large numbers of their peat swamps, so now Parasphromenus species are only found in small Ponds and even in roadside water ways from what I read) 

I chose Gunawani out of the 3 in store (the others being the Strawberry and Sintangensis) because the males get some nice red on the tail. The whole genus I believe is sexually dimorphic, males being extremely colorful while females are rather bland / colorless. 

I picked up a group of 3 and lucked out as in I got 1 Male and 2 Females. While they were super shy in the store, they've been surprisingly outgoing in the tank, mainly hanging around the Bantigue Root. They aren't trained onto frozen yet so I'll see how live BBS works for them, but interestingly enough I have seen them pick at biofilm and whatever algae is growing on the root so thats pretty intriguing. 

I was able to grab some good shots of the females. I accidently angered the Male since he took residence in the coconut hut, and I think he might've been preparing to try and spawn so I might've messed up my chances this go around 😞 but there's a pic of him in the bag and some blurry ones where his color does show. Hopefully when he's forgiven me I can get some good shots of him since his blue is STUNNING! 

(First three pics are of one of the females, then the last 3 is the male of course) 20211129_233417.jpg.9fe82ffa9b9e0950410a6f8a018286eb.jpg20211129_233417.jpg.9fe82ffa9b9e0950410a6f8a018286eb.jpg20211129_233406.jpg.242380d50f41053b4166599dfc4fc0c4.jpg20211129_233018.jpg.fb77a2876ca461b9b6c02385fd3d57fa.jpg20211129_235954.jpg.fdd54a18fc4093485e0be2c53eee5a41.jpg20211129_235503.jpg.f09c9b6c9935fe547ff8f2831c288a58.jpgScreenshot_20211130-002912_Gallery.jpg.e2146294c11a319ac24865f4423accb7.jpg

• Like 3