Jump to content

First time neocaridina


Jimmy
 Share

Recommended Posts

I have similar water and I’ve used several methods to mineralize it. Now I’m using crushed coral. I’ve found they like to hide in general. I have an 11 gallon with about 20 pure bred RCS but I never see more that 7-8 at a time and they don’t seem particularly active. In my 75  I have who knows how many mutts, they also hide but I always see a bunch out and very active. They’ll even swim after bits of flake food like Amanos do. 
 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Same as others mentioned, my neos are busy doing their thing among the rocks and plants. About the time I think they've all hidden and died, I suddenly see a swarm of them out and about. Day later, nothing. I've gotten used to that routine now. It's become a game to see if I can spot them going about their business.

In my 1.5g jarrarium, I have a single red cherry. I see him maybe once a week. I'm amazed that he can hide so effectively in such a small space. It's planted but not heavily, but danged if I can find him most of the time. LOL

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I got LRB shrimp a couple months ago. They acted shy for the first month. Now after two months I see them a lot more. My water is similar to his hardness, about 300ppm. Yesterday I saw 11 out at one time. That's the most I have seen since they got here. I got 20 to start with. Also I have seen several tiny babys here and there. This is a poor shot of one that was posing the other day.20211111_124502_HDR.jpg.c85e838fff8a358ae4161bb8a2c3196f.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would try to drop your TDS while maintaining a higher GH. 

I've found Equilibrium to be problematic when trying to keep shrimp as it increases TDS far too much. 

Water changes and new water parameters can force a molt. But the shrimp should be out and about. All of my shrimp are very active even with fish present.

 

Screenshot_20210112-163504.png

Edited by Mmiller2001
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/15/2021 at 1:47 PM, Patrick_G said:

I have similar water and I’ve used several methods to mineralize it. Now I’m using crushed coral. I’ve found they like to hide in general. I have an 11 gallon with about 20 pure bred RCS but I never see more that 7-8 at a time and they don’t seem particularly active. In my 75  I have who knows how many mutts, they also hide but I always see a bunch out and very active. They’ll even swim after bits of flake food like Amanos do. 
 

I bought equilibrium but it doesn’t full dissolve and it’s frustrating. Also leaves dust on the bottom of the tank. I might go back to GH booster

On 11/15/2021 at 6:56 PM, Colu said:

If stead of using Equilibrium I would add crushed coral you will get less swings in your water parameters  keeping it more stable long term 

I will look into it. Can I store water with crushed coral in it?

On 11/15/2021 at 3:00 PM, Dawn T said:

Same as others mentioned, my neos are busy doing their thing among the rocks and plants. About the time I think they've all hidden and died, I suddenly see a swarm of them out and about. Day later, nothing. I've gotten used to that routine now. It's become a game to see if I can spot them going about their business.

In my 1.5g jarrarium, I have a single red cherry. I see him maybe once a week. I'm amazed that he can hide so effectively in such a small space. It's planted but not heavily, but danged if I can find him most of the time. LOL

Crazy huh lol

On 11/15/2021 at 6:47 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

I would try to drop your TDS while maintaining a higher GH. 

I've found Equilibrium to be problematic when trying to keep shrimp as it increases TDS far too much. 

Water changes and new water parameters can force a molt. But the shrimp should be out and about. All of my shrimp are very active even with fish present.

 

Screenshot_20210112-163504.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/15/2021 at 8:21 PM, Colu said:

Crushed coral desloves over time I put mine in a media bag in my filter you can also add it to your substrate if you only storing water for a couple of day with crushed coral it won't be as effective 

Same here with the crushed coral. It's in a small media bag in my filter. It dissolves slowly over time, dissolving at a higher rate in acidic water. My water tends to be hard and somewhat alkaline, so it dissolves slowly to keep GH and KH stable.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/15/2021 at 7:21 PM, Colu said:

Crushed coral desloves over time I put mine in a media bag in my filter you can also add it to your substrate if you only storing water for a couple of day with crushed coral it won't be as effective 

I assumed it was over time. Nilocg GH booster didn’t cloud or leave much residue. I assumed seachem would be identical in quality. Is it problematic that my tds is 450 for me neos? They are back out and seem adjusted. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

450 is very high and not ideal. I would just use MgSO4 and CaSO4 to raise GH. This will allow for the lowest possible TDS before adding everything else.

https://greenleafaquariums.com/products/magnesium-sulfate-mgso4-1lb-bag.html

https://greenleafaquariums.com/products/calcium-sulfate-caso4-1lb-bag.html

Edited by Mmiller2001
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/15/2021 at 9:05 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

450 is very high and not ideal. I would just use MgSO4 and CaSO4 to raise GH. This will allow for the lowest possible TDS before adding everything else.

https://greenleafaquariums.com/products/magnesium-sulfate-mgso4-1lb-bag.html

https://greenleafaquariums.com/products/calcium-sulfate-caso4-1lb-bag.html

You think so? They came in at about 300 but obviously I don’t know what exactly those solids are. My water is about 50 tds so if I had GH booster or equilibrium (which I hate) I can have a better idea. His website says neos he keeps at between 300-600. I can slowly lower it

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/16/2021 at 7:46 AM, Jimmy said:

You think so? They came in at about 300 but obviously I don’t know what exactly those solids are. My water is about 50 tds so if I had GH booster or equilibrium (which I hate) I can have a better idea. His website says neos he keeps at between 300-600. I can slowly lower it

GH booster would work, the problem with most GH boosters is that they also contain potassium. So while raising GH, you also raise K. This leads to higher TDS at any given GH. 

I mineralize my RO to 5GH, that's around 87ish TDS. If I used Equilibrium or boosters, my TDS would be near 200.

Since using just Ca/Mg, plus all my fertilizers, my tank sits at 145 TDS. My shrimp tank sits at about 180 because I add potassium carbonate to about 2dKH.

When I was able to drop the TDS, my shrimp population exploded. I easily hit in the hundreds.

Edited by Mmiller2001
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...