Snail eaters?

ChrisD90

Im after a fish that will eat the snails in my tank as the population is booming at the moment with no end in sight. I have a 6ft aquarium that isn't overly populated and is a very peaceful, calm tank I'm just wondering which fish would go well in a community tank that would keep my pest snail population at bay? 

Thanks for any info 😀\

🐌

• Like 1

In a community tank I can’t really think of much, maybe pea puffers. I haven’t had experience with other puffers. But all the other fish I can think of that would eat snails are bigger cichlids Oscars and African that size and they are not community fish. What about assassin snails? I’ve never used them but from what most say they do what their name says .

You could also slow down the population boom by cutting back on your feedings. Snails only populate to how much food is available to them.

good luck mate

• Like 2

On 11/14/2021 at 9:37 AM, lefty o said:

clown loaches will take out snails. assassin snails are also a great way to go if you dont want a snail eating fish.

Thanks Lefty appreciate the reply. How do clown loaches go with other fish? Someone else has said yoyo loaches which are more peaceful? Thank you so much for the help.

Perhaps consider assassin snails.  Get a few and yes for a while their population may boom while they eat your other snails, but after they have decimated your other snails their own population will rapidly decline.  If you do wish to continue to keep them long term, consider adding meaty food like xtreme kreel flakes or even frozen foods for them to munch on.  

https://aquahuna.com/products/assassin-snail?_pos=1&_sid=a2fbf9672&_ss=r

Here are some videos highlighting assassin snails:

On 11/14/2021 at 10:02 AM, Ben_RF said:

Perhaps consider assassin snails.  Get a few and yes for a while their population may boom while they eat your other snails, but after they have decimated your other snails their own population will rapidly decline.  If you do wish to continue to keep them long term, consider adding meaty food like xtreme kreel flakes or even frozen foods for them to munch on.  

https://aquahuna.com/products/assassin-snail?_pos=1&_sid=a2fbf9672&_ss=r

I actually just looked into Assassin snails and because I'm in Australia they are actually illegal because they are viewed as an invasive species. There was someone selling some but for $100 per snail because they were smuggled in illegally and I'm not really down with owning something that could potentially harm native species if it managed to get out. 

• Like 3

On 11/14/2021 at 10:07 AM, DaveO said:

When my snails become overcrowded I throw in one or two green beans. They pile onboard the beans like crazy. After an hour or two I scoop them all out. 

`Thats a great idea I will definitely give this one a go thank you!

I ended up getting 2 Yoyo loaches as that's what my LFS had so hopefully they do the job they're only small at the moment but I know they will grow but at least they don't get as big as clowns. I also couldn't help but buy some more tetras and a few new foods to try out🤣🤣 

• Like 2

On 11/14/2021 at 4:05 PM, 2000tetras said:

Get a schoutedeni puffer. They are like 200$ but in my experience are not aggressive and are only 3 inches. They are like a swimming chicken nugget with puffer personality.

E67108B7-B0AC-47ED-A0FC-2B76F3D510EF.jpeg

OMG!! That is an awesome looking fish! I would love to get some puffers but they are really hard to come by in Australia I have never even heard of these ones they look amazing.

On 11/15/2021 at 3:21 AM, scott the fishman said:

great question zebras loaches and yoyo loaches will eat all baby snails and are good tank mates. clown loaches  can eat adult snails but can get up to a foot long. hope that helps

Thanks Scott I ended up with 2 small yoyo loaches and am very happy with my purchase they already have heaps of personality and look great.

On 11/14/2021 at 12:05 PM, ChrisD90 said:

Thanks Scott I ended up with 2 small yoyo loaches and am very happy with my purchase they already have heaps of personality and look great.

grats on your two new friends! i did read on line that yoyo loaches do best in grps of 5 or more. i had five lost one but the four i have are doing great.

A friend of mine got pea puffers for her 55g planted community tank. They're fun to watch.

I have assassin snails in 2 of my tanks. I bought a snail trap in case I need to catch snails from tanks where I don't want the assassins (like my 29g that has a nerite in it). I just transfer the snails to my assassin tank. I've done that for the tank in the office of my church. They feed a HUGE pleco in that tank and that feeds the snails, so their population is always high. My assassins sure stay happy. LOL