Tankmates for Rainbow Shark

Tony Scarpa

Rainbows can be aggressive towards other species but in a 60 gallon he'd be hard pressed to defend his territory. 

Having that been said dither fish that are quick are great in this tank. Danios, barbs, tetra, australian rainbows, etc. Plecos can take abuse most fish not even the meanest ones will bother them. 

Biggest thing to avoid with this species is conspecifics. They will not rest until the other is dead, extremely territorial towards eachother and species that look similar. You'd probably need around a 150+ to house 2.

• Like 1

I  have a 4 inch red tail black shark. they have the same behavioral as your rainbow shark.

i did lots of research on tank mates for these types of fish. the advice that this forum has given you is spot on!

i have barbs tiger barbs green tiger barbs and cherry barbs,rummy noses loaches, a large pleco. With no issues.

the trick is you need fast swimming fish who can with stand your sharks attacks not that the sharks bite them but chase them relentlessly causing stress and adventually death. and fish with similar body shape will be a high target. my shark never chases my rummy noses or my cherry barbs but at feeding time he gets very aggressive and chases the tiger barbs. the tiger barbs are not bothered by this they can swill very fast much longer then the shark. hope this helps.

• Like 1

On 11/14/2021 at 10:52 AM, scott the fishman said:

I  have a 4 inch red tail black shark. they have the same behavioral as your rainbow shark.

i did lots of research on tank mates for these types of fish. the advice that this forum has given you is spot on!

i have barbs tiger barbs green tiger barbs and cherry barbs,rummy noses loaches, a large pleco. With no issues.

the trick is you need fast swimming fish who can with stand your sharks attacks not that the sharks bite them but chase them relentlessly causing stress and adventually death. and fish with similar body shape will be a high target. my shark never chases my rummy noses or my cherry barbs but at feeding time he gets very aggressive and chases the tiger barbs. the tiger barbs are not bothered by this they can swill very fast much longer then the shark. hope this helps.

Thank you so much. This forum is awesome. This is the first time I used it and within 24 hours I got so many great suggestions and ideas. 

I think I'm going to put the rainbow shark in my 55 gallon with 12 tiger barbs and 6 danios. 

• Like 1

On 11/15/2021 at 5:24 PM, Tony Scarpa said:

Thank you so much. This forum is awesome. This is the first time I used it and within 24 hours I got so many great suggestions and ideas. 

I think I'm going to put the rainbow shark in my 55 gallon with 12 tiger barbs and 6 danios. 

NICE  you cant go wrong  with those mates all are fast swimmers

On 11/16/2021 at 10:13 AM, Max G said:

Can rainbow sharks be kept with angelfish or gourami? 

gourami yes not sure about angel fish. the reason i am not sure is that the sharks mates need to be fast swimmers . since the shark at some point will relentlessly chasse them down.

i had two rainbow gouramis and i had no issues with the shark.

• Thanks 1