Single rainbow fish wasting?

laritheloud

Hi, I’ve had these pseudomugils for a few months now and this one is looking skinny and listless. It was weaker and skinnier from the start, the tank has been treated with a few rounds of general cure and a round of kanaplex in food. Is this something to separate and treat or do I have to treat the tank with big guns like levamisole? What do you think?

6FD192DC-6E85-4448-9436-E2842B6B4828.jpeg

B42F2E69-E49C-4823-9ED5-A99C92636D15.jpeg

On 11/13/2021 at 6:53 PM, Colu said:

I agree at this point I would treat with levamisole see how he does it he starts to improve then I would treat the main tank just in case any other fish have contacted parasites from this fish

I separated and observed him throughout the day. He's still eating, I gave him a tiny bit of frozen daphnia and he perked up after that. At first he was listless but now he's swimming normally again. Lights are off and he's behaving like a normal at-rest pseudomugil. I'm wondering if I should observe in isolation for a day or two and see if he's still acting weak tomorrow before dropping in the levamisole. It's one of those things where I don't want to rush to treatment and then rush to treat the main tank when it's not needed, you know? I have some rabbit snails and baby rabbit snails that I don't want to get slowed down by the levamisole if I can help it!

I noticed some stringy white poop from the rainbow in quarantine so I threw in some Levamisole yesterday, did the water change today. I didn't notice anything unusual expelled from him. Still acting pretty much the same. I'm considering trying to feed a course of Metro-laced feed. Is it safe to do that along with levamisole 3x a week apart? I'll continue with the levamisole course but I'm not convinced it's nematodes.

Sort-of an update: Not really getting better, not really getting worse. He (I say HE despite his female coloring due to the body shape and really faded marks, which would indicate a very young and/or very genetically weak male) was a little weak this morning, kind of swimming around listlessly and taking bites as food fell in front of him. He's looking stronger now that the sun is up and the lights are on in his tank. It's tough to say what's up with him, as he went through one round of levamisole and now I have the metronidazole going, then back for a second round of levamisole later. I'm not convinced treatment is having any effect. He's being fed twice per day to see if he'll put on some weight, and though he doesn't have a sunken belly, he's still quite small and skinny.

I'm a bit puzzled and haven't medicated the 55 gallon tank so far. Every fish in that tank is still thriving. 🤷‍♀️ So strange.

Found him hardly able to swim and spiraling around the tank this morning @Colu. I am pretty sure he’s not going to make it, but my question now is what do I do about the 55 gallon tank? They are all visibly fine and have been for the 3 months they’ve been in the same tank. I’m not sure if I should drop any treatment in there just in case when I have no idea what this is, but I don’t want my other fish to get this either.

What would is monitor for now as can't be 100% sure what he actually had he did have the symptoms for wasting disease but he could have just been genetically weak and not had internal parasites if your other fish aren't losing weight and have healthy appetit's I not treat yet if they start to lose weight I would treat straight away with expel p

• Like 1

On 11/18/2021 at 9:57 AM, Colu said:

What would is monitor for now as can't be 100% sure what he actually had he did have the symptoms for wasting disease but he could have just been genetically weak and not had internal parasites if your other fish aren't losing weight and have healthy appetit's I not treat yet if they start to lose weight I would treat straight away with expel p

Thank you. I'm most worried about the rest of the tank, because the thicklip gouramis are my loves. However, I'm seeing absolutely no signs of issues, and from day 1 he was the only one who struggled along.

Your help and advice is invaluable as always. I know I did what I could for him, and hopefully the rest of the tank will be just fine.