pH problem

EmJay

Hey guys,

So I'm trying to redo my dad's 75 gallon tank cause we call it the death trap tank. Everything he seems to put in dies. I've tested his levels and everything comes back fairly ok minus his pH is insanely low. Like 5.0 low. I've rushed out and bought some ph up stuff but it will only rise to about 6.0 and then the next day falls again. We removed the carbon as we read that can affect it too. I'm not sure what to do at this point.

The weird thing is that I don't understand too is that I also have aquariums in the same house, and my pH is high compared to his. Mine comes in around 8.0. Any advice? I don't want his fish to keep dying.

On 11/12/2021 at 10:30 AM, lefty o said:

whats the tap water test at? what kind of substrate, plants etc?

I just tested the tap water, comes up around 6.5. It has rock substrate, and we recently started adding plants maybe a month ago. Should I do a huge water change?

Test your kH and gH. You can often times do this at fish stores for free. Bring a sample for tap and aquarium water before you rush out buying chemicals that may or may not work. I'm fairly certain your kH is low and thus the pH crashes but best to know for sure then we can go from there.

While youre at it post up ammonia, nitrate and nitrite. That'll also help me figure out where your water chemistry is at.

I'm having the same problem in one of my tanks. The pH was low at 6.0, as was the kh at 1. I added a small amount of crushed coral and within a few days the pH is up to 7.2 and the kh is at 2. @Biotope Biologist am I on the right track? 

I will say that my only tank inhabitants right now are bladder and ramshorn snails, so my thought would be that they can handle the pH changes better than fish can. 

On 11/12/2021 at 3:49 PM, Jennifer V said:

I'm having the same problem in one of my tanks. The pH was low at 6.0, as was the kh at 1. I added a small amount of crushed coral and within a few days the pH is up to 7.2 and the kh is at 2. @Biotope Biologist am I on the right track? 

I will say that my only tank inhabitants right now are bladder and ramshorn snails, so my thought would be that they can handle the pH changes better than fish can. 

Sounds like you are on the right track. As the crushed coral dissolves your gh and kh will reach equilibrium. Just replace the coral when it's fully dissolved.

The snails will also appreciate it as they pull minerals from the water to make their shells. Freshwater fish are actually quite adaptable and can change their biology based on the chemistry of the environment they are in. Some fish species do it better than others, but generally speaking having stable water parameters is best for healthy fish. Generally emphasized here.

On 11/12/2021 at 5:05 PM, Biotope Biologist said:

Sounds like you are on the right track. As the crushed coral dissolves your gh and kh will reach equilibrium. Just replace the coral when it's fully dissolved.

The snails will also appreciate it as they pull minerals from the water to make their shells. Freshwater fish are actually quite adaptable and can change their biology based on the chemistry of the environment they are in. Some fish species do it better than others, but generally speaking having stable water parameters is best for healthy fish. Generally emphasized here.

Is it obvious when the crushed coral has dissolved? That might be a dumb question but I've never used it before. 

And that's great news about fish! I'd love to add some to the tank and have been so frustrated that the water chemistry has been so off. Really, I'd absolutely love to add shrimp but it looks like I'm going to have to get another larger tank, as this small one is proving very difficult to stabilize. 

On 11/12/2021 at 4:11 PM, Jennifer V said:

Is it obvious when the crushed coral has dissolved? That might be a dumb question but I've never used it before. 

And that's great news about fish! I'd love to add some to the tank and have been so frustrated that the water chemistry has been so off. Really, I'd absolutely love to add shrimp but it looks like I'm going to have to get another larger tank, as this small one is proving very difficult to stabilize. 

Oops didn't see the notification. And not a stupid question, really just a simple answer. The coral will be floating around in your water at a size you cannot see, dispersed into it's individual ions. So when the visible coral is gone it's time to replace it.

• Like 1