to my fellow veterans

lefty o

Every Veteran's Day (and all the other holidays) I remember my uncle "Ricky" (man on the right in first pic and someone I never got a chance to know) who was point main Seal Team One in Vietnam. Despite numerous patrols with his team died in a freak helicoptor accident during R&R time. Per his CO he was an amazing teammate. RIP Ricky. 

2019-01-05_07-58-381.jpg

2019-01-05_07-58-311.jpg

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

On 11/11/2021 at 11:05 AM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Every Veteran's Day (and all the other holidays) I remember my uncle "Ricky" (man on the right in first pic and someone I never got a chance to know) who was point main Seal Team One in Vietnam. Despite numerous patrols with his team died in a freak helicoptor accident during R&R time. Per his CO he was an amazing teammate. RIP Ricky. 

2019-01-05_07-58-381.jpg

2019-01-05_07-58-311.jpg

i love that stoner! thats the MG on the right for those who dont know.

Edited by lefty o

A huge portion of my family were military. 
My dad was a navy doc, both “blueside” as a lab tech on the Ticonderoga and “greenside” with the marines in Viet Nam. My mom says he was well loved by his marines. She was a navy WAVE and roughly equivalent of a blueside doc. Today it’s the same job classification for men and women. 

• Like 1

I think the LST was a little before my time. LSD-47 was probably a little smoother of a ride. My time with the MEU underway was some of the best of times.

....provided the crayola didn't run out

Edited by MAC

On 11/12/2021 at 12:35 PM, MAC said:

I think the LST was a little before my time. LSD-47 was probably a little smoother of a ride. My time with the MEU underway was some of the best of times.

....provided the crayola didn't run out

lst's all went away about 1993. the old flat bottom made for a wild ride when the sea's were rough

My son has served on 2 LPDs, the Ogden and the Denver. He's currently playing tag with the Russians in the Black Sea on board the USS Porter. He gets to come back the the US (West coast so drivable even) for his next and last tour next summer... Grandpa is looking forward to it.

• Like 2

On 11/12/2021 at 10:18 AM, lefty o said:

this is an uber for crayon eaters!🤪

1280px-USS_Fresno_(LST-1182)_stbd_beam_view.jpg

this is how you make them turn green and lose their lunch! note, also works on reservists!🤢

fresno bow waves.jpg

I'm glad I went Army. I couldn't handle being at sea for any extended amount of time. I think I'd go stir crazy.

On 11/12/2021 at 11:19 PM, lefty o said:

work, sleep, drill, real casualty. not too much screw off time under way.

As long as you stay busy im sure it wouldn't be that bad. I guess it comes down to perspective, my MOS kept me constantly going somewhere and doing something different on post every day. And really our only mundane and boring times were traveling but I guess when sailors are underway traveling is their job for the most part so I guess that would be different. 

On 11/12/2021 at 11:09 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

@mtnmonster I would bet they'd keep you too busy most of the time to get a chance to go stir crazy. It IS the military.

You would think the military stays busy, but truth is there is a lot going on and a lot not going on at the same time. Hurry up and wait. Everyone who has served has probably experienced this lol 

• Like 1