Starting a New 120 Gallon Tank

RummyKnows

I have a 120 gallon tank (4ft x 2ft x 2ft) with dual overflows.  I want to set up a planted tank and I'm looking for ideas.  I have two 48" Finnex Stingray 2 lights.  I'm not sure if I want to set up a sump (a first for me) or use the canister filters I already have.  I need to select substrate, plants, and fish.

I'm returning to the hobby after a 10 year break.  Before that, I kept fish for 15 years and I'm looking forward to getting a tank started again. 

What I'd like to do is get a large school of rummynose tetras (with other "supporting cast" fish) and low maintenance plants and maybe a "centerpiece" fish.  Possible ideas for other tankmates: kuhli loaches, cory cats, ottos, hillstream loaches, inverts.  As far as substrate or plants, I'm suffering from analysis paralysis.

I would love to hear ideas/suggestions/warnings for my proposed setup.

I run a 110 planted tank with a sump. I would take advantage of the overflows and get a sump. I would look at 40B DIY sump kits on ebay. They seem nice.

I previously had two fx4 filters on this tank. It eventually crashed because they couldn't keep up with the bioload of a planted tank, clogged up fast, and didn't provide good of flow. Also with the sump I can hide all the equipment now. 

20200714_155413.jpg

• Like 10

2 hours ago, RummyKnows said:

I have a 120 gallon tank (4ft x 2ft x 2ft) with dual overflows.  I want to set up a planted tank and I'm looking for ideas.  I have two 48" Finnex Stingray 2 lights.  I'm not sure if I want to set up a sump (a first for me) or use the canister filters I already have.  I need to select substrate, plants, and fish.

I'm returning to the hobby after a 10 year break.  Before that, I kept fish for 15 years and I'm looking forward to getting a tank started again. 

What I'd like to do is get a large school of rummynose tetras (with other "supporting cast" fish) and low maintenance plants and maybe a "centerpiece" fish.  Possible ideas for other tankmates: kuhli loaches, cory cats, ottos, hillstream loaches, inverts.  As far as substrate or plants, I'm suffering from analysis paralysis.

I would love to hear ideas/suggestions/warnings for my proposed setup.

I would do a sump, so many options for media and its so easy to clean/change stuff out. you can drill the sump for auto water change as well. Just make sure you get it squared away so in a power outage you don't overflow the sump.

5 hours ago, MickS77 said:

I run a 110 planted tank with a sump. I would take advantage of the overflows and get a sump. I would look at 40B DIY sump kits on ebay. They seem nice.

I previously had two fx4 filters on this tank. It eventually crashed because they couldn't keep up with the bioload of a planted tank, clogged up fast, and didn't provide good of flow. Also with the sump I can hide all the equipment now. 

20200714_155413.jpg

Goodness gracious. Hashbrown plantgoals

Beautiful tank @MickS77! I like the idea of being able to hide heaters and such in a sump. When I had a 6' 120, I used two large canister filters. They handled the large bioload of my tank well, and were really quiet. I liked the quiet part. The disadvantage was that they were a big pain to clean.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for your help!  Since I won't have a high light/high tech setup, do you have any recommendations for substrate?  Sorry for all my "beginner" questions.  There's a lot of information out there and I'm trying to sort through it all.

I’ll also vote for sump.  I use a 29 aqueon as a DIY sump on a 125. Very useful for hiding heaters, co2 reactor, plumbing in UV if you want to go that route.  Either way, it’s super easy to work with and service. Sumps also increase the total system water volume, which is an added benefit.  

I use fluorite black sand because I like the way it looks. It can be pricey to fill a large tank with it, but I just like the black sandy look. Stem plants grow very well in it, once they get established, but sometimes they are hard to keep in the substrate until that time. 

Edited by tolstoy21
  • Like 1

@RummyKnowsMy 120 is built into a wall and there was only clearance for 1/2" tubing on one end so with the lack of clearance and that  I couldn't have intake & return on opposite ends of the tank we went with an Eheim 3 Pro canister. If there was more room I definitely would have gone with a sump. I have 1 Finnex Stingray 2.0 on this tank with java fern, bacopa, water sprite, saggitatrius, dwarf waterlily, amazon sword, pogostemon, and anubias all growing well. I keep Discus in this tank but it isn't a Discus tank it's very much a community tank with Bosemani Rainbows, Cardinal, Emperor, & Rummynose Tetras, Pencilfish, Ottos, a single male Krib and a dozen Cory's and yes the Discus spawn in this tank.

9FFD73BC-D7BB-4B05-BFEC-7585232940DD_1_201_a.jpeg

Edited by Paul
  • Like 4