Platy’s attacking mystery snails

Chad

Has anyone dealt with, or have any advice for, Platy’s pecking at their mystery snails? I have recently added five platys, all females, and three of them have been pecking away at the snails. Is this typical? I love the snails and only just added the fish. The biters have been put back into their quarantine tank but I’m hoping someone has advice for my problem. 

I've had my platies in the same tank as a mystery snail since July. Just the other day one particular female platy was harassing the snail, appearing to peck at his body as he was gliding around. I saw this happen repeatedly over the course of a few hours in a couple of locations.

I was bothered by this because it looked like it would be annoying to the snail, but the snail did not close up or appear like she wanted to avoid the platy. After that day, I haven't seen it again, both platy and snail appear fine.

I thought maybe the snail still smelled like grean beans or Sera O Nip tabs or something she'd recently eaten, and that motivated the platy? After all, if the platy was just being aggressive it seems like she would start with the tentacles which would be easy to nip, but she was definitely nipping the body near the face and foot.

• Like 1

Thanks for share @PineSong. Same here, the nipping occurs on the body and face but it does cause my snail to coil up and hide. I hope the snail isn't getting too battered by the Platy. I was able to catch some footage of the Platy going after my snail today and it does look pretty rough. But it's still moving around doing snail stuff so I'm going to keep an eye on it and we'll see if the snail is ok in the coming days.

• Like 1