Apistogramma cacatuoides Tank

Hey guys so I know you have been wanting to see my tank for awhile here it is, a waterbox 10 long with a pair of apistogramma cacatuoides triple red. One question I have is what plants would you reccomed adding additional or would you leave it as is.  Also, the pair of apistos are the only thing in the tank if I got some amanos would they fit with still being roomy. If not that is ok. 

16365957241168420529026665866030.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

You could also link this to your signature as a journal of everything about this tank in one thread. Maybe ask a moderator to move this post to the photos journal section. I ask most of my question in my journal as well. Folks always respond and answer them. That way all your answers can be in one place as well. It would also help forum members to get ideas if they are looking for them for this type of fish. 

Thank you very much for all the info, now I have two more questions the first being if I were to get a few amanos to have a mini Clean up crew would that be ok or would that overstock the tank because no worries then, my second question is my light is the fluval nano, how do I turn it down so it is not an algae farm, because I have it on a kasa timer.  

Nice scape! How long has tank been set up? Tropica usually recommends adding 1 amano shrimp per 5 liters of water on day 3 after filling with water. In my experience, I haven’t added that many , usually 1-2 per 10 gallons, within the first week with no ill effects to shrimp. Of course, i also kept up with small daily or every other day water changes and testing. (Have you ever used their app for reminders on maintenance while starting up a tank? I personally really like it.) You could easily do a Nerite and 1-2 amanos. Also floating plants can help a lot with light / nutrient / algae issues, as plants grow in. Frogbit is easy to control in my experience. I liked the idea from @Biotope Biologist for dwarf chain sword in mid-fore ground (I suggest aligning it left to right around / behind rocks). Dwarf sag grows fast but E. Tennelus / H. Tennelum is another smaller type of dwarf chain sword that would look nice, too. Also I think most of the plants you already have would benefit from root tabs. 

foreground- micro sword, crypt parva, and any of the others suggested before should work. Pearlweed also can be trimmed to be a carpeting plant. Lots of root tabs down before you plant in that sand should help it take. 

midground- that Apisto cave is dying for some moss, otherwise love the clean look. Those swords will take up all that middle draping over the rocks.

background- in front of the heater id put a crinum or another aponogeton.

Great start. 

You could use something on the surface to diffuse the light - either very tall italia val; frogbit; hornworth; lots of options but you want to diffuse the light - this is my apisto aquarium but don't copy my stocking - also the layout you might not like so ignore my scaping - also you need more stuff on the bottom like leaf litter or low plants where the fishes can hide - i have some guppy grass and stuff behind the driftwood where the fishes can hide when needed:

w29_nov_11.jpg.760af7b305a9e7e0d88ba1d69993a8b4.jpg

• Like 2

On 11/11/2021 at 3:50 PM, Stephen Zawacki said:

Ok thank you, I will take all of that into consideration, also when I connect the light to the fluval app, and I set the parameters I like, will the kasa timer still work? 

You won’t need the timer because the app will control when the light turns on and off. 

Ok thank you the Supratect is what the king of diy uses in Canada, they are not aloud to use fish medicine so his fish store created this all natural plant based medicine, and he swears by it for treating fish, if you look up one of his videos about it, he explains it.  So I have one more question with the females tail fin a little tattered, and banged up besides keeping good water quality how long does a fin that is like that generally take just so I have an idea if I have to take additional measures.  Also how long does it typically take for them to color up they are still very bland, is it something that since they were shipped it will take them awhile, or is that their full color also don’t know if this changes anything, but they are both very active and eating in the two days of being in the tank.? 

thx yall

Edited by Stephen Zawacki

ok yall so I have some bad news, when I was gone over the weekend my heater broke in the tank resulting in shocking my pair of Apistogramma cacatoides.  I got a new heater, and now have to get another pair I have decided to get a pair of Apistogramma ortegai pebas heard their pretty new to the hobby and really rare, my question is that they are wild caught from Peru the seller has already quarantined them do you recommend me doing anything and also will the xtreme nano cichlid pellets work.  Also the journal that was created for my apisto tank they will be going in that 10 gallon long waterbox species only.

Thx yall 

Edited by Stephen Zawacki

A few questions where is my signature  also the reason I was always making new threads was I was never explained to where my journal or old entries were that is the first thing also even though I have been in the hobby for two years I’m still pretty new so when I see topics I usually don’t want to reply, because I don’t want to give false information.