Breeding Project

Michelle D

On 11/24/2021 at 8:20 PM, Michelle D said:

I'm so upset 😭😭 I added flouish to my bare bottom guppy breaker tank cause I was told they weren't getting enough food due to no substrate... 

Well my plants ( that we're doing great in my opinion ) are all dieing..... 

Is there anything I can do to fix this before it all gone??? 😢😢😢😢😢

What flourish did you use? There are several types. My suggestion is lots of large water changes. May I suggest posting this as a topic in plants algae fertilizer category on he forum. There are lots of very knowledgeable folks that will see it thee and perhaps an help. Good luck. 

5 of my tanks are bare bottom with 4 being guppy tanks. I don’t use fertilizer and my plants are fine. 

Don't know if you can see it or not but the plants have alot of brown, and the baby tears was a lot taller before the fertilizer

16378040421167325014343376437823.jpg

16378040698088101583090346331095.jpg

16378040944444134091975542233016.jpg

On 11/24/2021 at 8:35 PM, Guppysnail said:

What flourish did you use? There are several types. My suggestion is lots of large water changes. May I suggest posting this as a topic in plants algae fertilizer category on he forum. There are lots of very knowledgeable folks that will see it thee and perhaps an help. Good luck. 

5 of my tanks are bare bottom with 4 being guppy tanks. I don’t use fertilizer and my plants are fine. 

Ok I will post there thanks.  And I will start water changes right now. 

I should have left well enough alone... My plants look great as was. 

• Like 1

On 11/24/2021 at 8:42 PM, Guppysnail said:

Beautiful panda corydora you have

Thanks I have bandits and pygmy Cory's too all in different tanks of course... 

On 11/24/2021 at 8:35 PM, Guppysnail said:

16378053592444078919441099176480.jpg

• Like 1

@Michelle DI think you may just have pushed the conversion of your plants to your water with the ferts. I think the die off was inevitable- all plants have a period where they get adjusted to your water. From your initial post you’re at a little over 2 months correct?

I’d trim back all the yellow and brown bits. Flourish is not my fave but it’s what many people have - it’s weak in all the wrong places in terms of ferts. I’d keep dosing it with water changes and another 1-2 x a week. Once the bottles nearly gone grab some easy green. Eventually your plants growth will outstrip the die off. Part of having a planted tank is trimming and pulling plants.

Another thing to think about is your plants are competing for nutrients and the faster growers guppy grass, pearl weed and wisteria will pull from your anubias and I’d say your guppy grass and pearl weed are doing fantastic from the pics. 

On 11/25/2021 at 11:40 AM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

@Michelle DI think you may just have pushed the conversion of your plants to your water with the ferts. I think the die off was inevitable- all plants have a period where they get adjusted to your water. From your initial post you’re at a little over 2 months correct?

I’d trim back all the yellow and brown bits. Flourish is not my fave but it’s what many people have - it’s weak in all the wrong places in terms of ferts. I’d keep dosing it with water changes and another 1-2 x a week. Once the bottles nearly gone grab some easy green. Eventually your plants growth will outstrip the die off. Part of having a planted tank is trimming and pulling plants.

Another thing to think about is your plants are competing for nutrients and the faster growers guppy grass, pearl weed and wisteria will pull from your anubias and I’d say your guppy grass and pearl weed are doing fantastic from the pics. 

Ok thanks for the info and the tips.

The pearl weed guppy grass are the ones that look the worst. My camera phone isn't great.  I noticed after I took the pics it didn't show how bad it was. The pearl weed was taller than the tallest drift wood. And fuller, now some of it has broken off and is now floating at the top. 

I'll trim the brown off and do another water change, I did one last night too. 

I actually just put the Anubis in thinking I dosed for too many plants. They were meant for one of my Betta tanks. 

My lfs ( also where I work ) don't carry easy green, and neither do any of the other lfs here, where is the best place to order it from? 

O and yes it's been about 2 to 2 1/2 mths.

On 11/21/2021 at 11:32 PM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

@Michelle D1. Welcome to our community, you’ll be a better fishkeeper for it. 2. All that algae and biofilm has served you well for those shrimp and shrimplets, well done. 3. Do these fry have a blue rim around their eyes? They look like Pseudomeugil luminatus fry or ricefish. Here’s a picture of Pseudomeugil. 07F0B0E4-40F8-4FAC-89A8-00534A80FC44.jpeg.9290a76f6cce5f923a635e64d6a900dc.jpeg

ricefish fry

78C4B48C-2932-4CB4-86E3-9CE51165BF05.jpeg.107571ec2f6fde2cc8ed120645d2fbf4.jpeg

both are egg scatterers. Have fun with your fish and shrimp. 

I looked real good and I don't see any blue.

They look closer to the rice fish but a lot redder. 

From my couch the only way I can tell them from the shrimp is the way they swim, just to give you an ideal of how red they are. Going to try and get a better pic, but my phone camera is not great. 

On 11/21/2021 at 9:10 PM, Michelle D said:

lost all four of my Masonic guppy males. The water parameters are all good so I really don't know what happened. 

But ALL my females are doing great. I even have some new babies in the guppy tank. 

This happens, regularly. The guppies we buy from lfs or box stores, and even the ones we order online tend to not transition to new water very well. 

The fact that you already have babies is *awesome*

They will be hardier than the fish you bought. Let them grow, and you will probably have some gorgeous looking males in about 2-3 months. Make sure to add a wondershell to your Aquarium Co-op order of EZ Green for your plants, and by Valentine's, love will be in the air for your 3rd generation of guppies!

If you already have hard water with plenty of calcium, you don't need wondershell. I like to keep it for my shrimp and snails to graze on as they need, or I use a cuttlebone for them. Both work.

Congratulations on your success!

I understand why the plants appearing to shrink after using the Flourish was alarming. The plants actually look really healthy overall for a tank only 2 ½ months old. You are doing great!

• Thanks 1