So Monday I bought 10 of the blue shrimp for my 20 long planted tank I have the fluval stratum substrate and my ammonia was at 0.25 so did a water change this morning I found a dead shrimp found a molt from one of the shrimps too is there something going on or cause of adding new water stressed out more and caused it ? Any advice would be appreciated I’m new too shrimp and the tank been running over a week used turbostart 700 and and some zyme 7 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Cory said:

Typically you want a well established tank for Shrimp. Also you'll want to check out water parameters. 

My parameters where good my nitrates stay around 30 ppm coming out of the tap and ammonia was 0.25 before the water change before I added them so it should of gone done at zero I used a seeded sponge I had for my other tank and added the turbostart 700

Enriched substrates can leech ammonia, and shrimp are generally more sensitive to it than fish. It could still be leeching ammonia. I'd watch those params like a hawk for a bit until you know it's being handled by your BB or plants.

As Cory mentioned, shrimp do well in established tanks. This is because they graze on the microorganisms living on surfaces. How old is the tank? You may need to supplement in the meantime. I've heard Bacter AE works well, but I have no experience with it. Mine seem to like soilent green repashy.

I also struggled to keep blue velvet shrimp in a tank that was too immature. I thought they were all dead eventually, but all of a sudden one day there were babies! Now they outcompete my bladder snails and the colony is very strong. You'll get there. Good luck! 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, dublicious said:

Enriched substrates can leech ammonia, and shrimp are generally more sensitive to it than fish. It could still be leeching ammonia. I'd watch those params like a hawk for a bit until you know it's being handled by your BB or plants.

As Cory mentioned, shrimp do well in established tanks. This is because they graze on the microorganisms living on surfaces. How old is the tank? You may need to supplement in the meantime. I've heard Bacter AE works well, but I have no experience with it. Mine seem to like soilent green repashy.

I also struggled to keep blue velvet shrimp in a tank that was too immature. I thought they were all dead eventually, but all of a sudden one day there were babies! Now they outcompete my bladder snails and the colony is very strong. You'll get there. Good luck! 

Awesome thank you I added another dose of turbostart 700 and added some complete will keep a eye on it 🙂 thank you 

• 11 months later...