Change from HOB to sponge filters

LaurieinIA

I’m strongly considering changing from an HOB to sponge filters in my planted community setup - partly because it now sits in my living room and the water noise drives me crazy, partly because I no longer have someone 1/2 block away to check on things if the power goes out while I’m at work.  

The tank is appx 40 gal cube shaped. 24” tall.  With where my plants already are, I don’t really have floor space to do 2 separate sponges. I could, just really don’t want to rearrange plants that are finally settling in again since we moved.  Can I do just one large sponge or should I stack a couple of them?  Is the coop usb nano pump strong enough?  I love how quiet it is!  If not, what’s a good QUIET air pump?

You’d be perfectly fine with using even a single medium sponge for the tank. If you want to go the extra mile you could put an air stone in the sponge filter for extra surface agitation. The nano pump would also work well as it’s a small but powerful tool. 

• Like 2

On 11/9/2021 at 2:21 PM, Zac said:

You’d be perfectly fine with using even a single medium sponge for the tank. If you want to go the extra mile you could put an air stone in the sponge filter for extra surface agitation. The nano pump would also work well as it’s a small but powerful tool. 

I would definitely do the air stone and will likely do the large sponge since it’s only an inch or so bigger footprint. I already use a large pre-filter on the HOB, so I’m basically just lowering everything a few inches to the floor. 

You should be totally fine with a single large sponge, and I echo the nano USB air pump. It's completely sufficient for one sponge filter and gives off no sounds whatsoever. I think one sponge filter is roughly equivalent to a single HOB in terms of biological a mechanical filtration, so if your tank was balanced with one HOB, then I would stick with one sponge.

• Like 1

I don’t like the usb air pumps. They will not likely handle two sponges. They are quiet. As for the hanging one with the double sponges have there place. I think you can probably get buy with one of the  I like the small instead of the nano. The small is on the left and the right is the nano. The medium has only a 3” base and handles 20gals and if you are only going to have one I the medium is what I would go with and add a Ziss’s never clog air stone. It says 20 g but think it does more easily. I wanted to show you the that the small is much shorter. I have plants hiding it and slightly more flow.32FFDAB3-4B56-475F-897A-EB546BE7623A.jpeg.4998e3f61e9c87061cb10d7d839f34a6.jpeg

On 11/9/2021 at 5:55 PM, Patrick_G said:

@LaurieinIA, have you posted a pic of your big cube? I’m intrigued! 

Here’s a quick pic just now from feeding time.

Setup is only 6 months old and we moved to a new town a month ago, which was hard on some plants… but they are finally settling in again. The anacharis in the back by the heater was all the way to the top until a few days ago when I trimmed it back.  I was hoping the PSO on the left would take off more, but it’s been pretty stagnant so far.

I’m looking to basically drop a sponge down right below where the HOB intake is now.

07AFCDF0-A41B-4944-8DC1-07671D63F6FC.jpeg.65b2bb6e1b51a118e3a78fc874616095.jpeg

@Brandon p thanks for the photos. Visuals always help 

• Like 5

On 11/9/2021 at 6:56 PM, Patrick_G said:

Oh it’s nice! Is that an Aquarium Masters Tank? I think I saw one at the LFS recently. 

Thank you!  No idea on the brand or exact size. It was gifted to me a couple of years ago by my BIL who was upgrading.  I don’t know how long he had it.

I finally set it up with cichlids a little over a year ago, then upgraded them to a 75 last spring and started over with this setup. My first with live plants

• Like 1

That tank is beautiful. I'm usually not a fan of cubes but you've done an excellent job. a nano USB pump might not run two large sponges (never tried), but it will absolutely run one without a problem. And definitely get the Ziss airstone, those things are fantastic and vastly improve the functioning of the sponge.

I'm sure you know this already (you seem experienced), but make sure to run the sponge in the tank with the HOB for a while to properly seed the sponge before removing the HOB. You risk disrupting the the biological cycle if you switch a fresh sponge in and remove the HOB at the same time. Give yourself a week or two of overlap before removing the HOB.

• Thanks 1

That prefilter sponge looks likely to be the same diameter as the medium ACO sponge filter and a single air stone will run 2 sponges if you stack them (and you have plenty of height to do that).  That would be loads of filtration but there’s no such thing as too much filtration as long as you don’t have too much flow.

On 11/9/2021 at 11:14 PM, Odd Duck said:

That prefilter sponge looks likely to be the same diameter as the medium ACO sponge filter and a single air stone will run 2 sponges if you stack them (and you have plenty of height to do that).  That would be loads of filtration but there’s no such thing as too much filtration as long as you don’t have too much flow.

I just checked out the dimensions and you are correct. The prefilter is the same diameter as a medium ACO sponge. I think I’ll plan to go this route. Thanks!

@Odd Duck if I stack the sponges, do I keep the air stone way at the top or use a longer length to drop it down towards the bottom of the center column?

Edited by LaurieinIA
Added question