Looking for info from those with Serpae Tetra

xXInkedPhoenixX

Not a lot of posts that talk about them much. I was doing research about them. Have a 20 gallon with 10 black neons, a couple Otos and snails- and considering adding to the population. I'm looking for a contrasting fish similar in size either a tetra or rasbora. My Neons are kind of jerks so the fish has to hold its own. Wondering if anyone here experienced with Serpaes can give me their likes and dislikes about them.

We have a 55 gallon with 6 Serpae Tetras, 16 Cardinal Tetras, 6 Panda Corys and 2 Mystery Snails. We absolutely love our Serpaes! That said, we laughingly refer to them as the police of the tank. They seem to always be patrolling the entire tank minding everyone's business, LOL. We have no problems as the Cardinals are not bothered by them at all. They can be a little territorial at times and will chase each other or others away from certain "spots" at times. Once in a while they will push the snails around but nothing too frequent. Again, we love the Serpaes and are planning on adding about 4 more. I would say that most folks say they do best with at least 8 of their own so take that into consideration.

Pat

• Thanks 1

When the lights come on, My Serpae Tetras. seem to spend most of their time behind the fish fence with the live floating plants. It is a relatively narrow space, but all of the smaller fish like to hang out there.  Either they don't like the bright light or they have associated the light with feeding time. The rest of the day they are swimming everywhere.  

• Thanks 1

I have around 15 in a 40 gallon breeder with 8 pearl gouramis, around a dozen pristella tetras, and 9 Corydoras trilineatus.  They're beautiful fish, especially in planted tanks, and I haven't had any problems with them.  While I also like a few others, they're probably my favorite tetra.

If you do much research you'll probably find out that they have a reputation for being fin nippers, but I'm convinced that's mostly from people having them in too small groups.  If they have enough of their own species to hold their attention they will rarely bother other fish (as evidenced by me having them with gouramis).  I have had as few as nine in the tank with no issues.

• Thanks 1

On 11/8/2021 at 7:10 AM, JettsPapa said:

I have around 15 in a 40 gallon breeder with 8 pearl gouramis, around a dozen pristella tetras, and 9 Corydoras trilineatus.  They're beautiful fish, especially in planted tanks, and I haven't had any problems with them.  While I also like a few others, they're probably my favorite tetra.

If you do much research you'll probably find out that they have a reputation for being fin nippers, but I'm convinced that's mostly from people having them in too small groups.  If they have enough of their own species to hold their attention they will rarely bother other fish (as evidenced by me having them with gouramis).  I have had as few as nine in the tank with no issues.

That's good to know as I was seeing that reputation on other source sites. I was definitely in the market for 6-10 fish. If this is the fish I land on for this tank and I can't find it locally I'll have to order from AquaHuna and they sell them in an 8 pack. They'd also contrast well with my Black Neons and mostly green colored tank, if they have good active personalities even better. 

On 11/8/2021 at 1:15 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

That's good to know as I was seeing that reputation on other source sites. I was definitely in the market for 6-10 fish. If this is the fish I land on for this tank and I can't find it locally I'll have to order from AquaHuna and they sell them in an 8 pack. They'd also contrast well with my Black Neons and mostly green colored tank, if they have good active personalities even better. 

I don't know where you're located, but I don't believe I've ever been in a store that sold fish and didn't have them.  I'd be very surprised if you can't find them locally.  They're sometimes labeled "red minor tetra", but it's the same fish.