Alternative Nitrate Reduction via Emergents

On 11/14/2021 at 3:23 PM, dasaltemelosguy said:

Well, that's like the coolest looking thing I've ever seen! I love the shot too and the way you caught the fish echoing the fantastic picture above. Wow!

He's one of the ones who ate all my shrimp the other day 🙂 My niece painted that picture-I love it too.

• Love 1

On 11/14/2021 at 1:15 PM, dmurray407 said:

@dasaltemelosguy or anyone, OK, I went to my local Walmart (live in a small town, not too many choices) and found some lucky bamboo, I cut a piece of the egg crate plastic to fit the back of my aquarium so now what?  I separated the bamboo stalks-there are 5 of them-they are a little big to fit through the 1/2 in squares of the egg crate-do you just squish them down in there or cut bigger holes in the egg crate?  Do I leave the existing roots or cut them off and let them grow new "water roots"? I really wanted some pothos, but couldn't find any. I'm really excited about this!

100B0802-BF8D-4679-AB28-A00A87B1464F.jpeg

BACF1774-C3F2-45D6-BDAC-EE2BB91B599A_1_201_a.jpeg

You’ll need to make bigger holes like others suggested.  I had only small gaps available between the HOB’s and the center brace.  I found sink sponge caddies and drilled holes in the bottom to hold the tops of the bamboo and the stems of some pothos.

Pic 1 caddies without holes drilled yet.

Pic 2 caddy from above.

Pic 3 caddy from inside the tank.

4039AA0D-7C08-490B-AFDC-2F673B25B07C.jpeg

CC79848B-096A-486A-B2AB-B6470F440667.jpeg

494B34D3-F563-4EFF-A6BA-B0B3630FEA16.jpeg

Edited by Odd Duck
  • Love 2

On 11/14/2021 at 3:43 PM, Odd Duck said:

sink sponge caddies

That looks great! I looked for some of those and couldn't find any (I only looked at one store). I don't have much space between my lid and the back of the tank so I need something thin. I would rather have those for the pothos because I could use bigger plants (as opposed to cuttings) so I'll keep looking.

• Like 2

On 11/14/2021 at 3:52 PM, dmurray407 said:

That looks great! I looked for some of those and couldn't find any (I only looked at one store). I don't have much space between my lid and the back of the tank so I need something thin. I would rather have those for the pothos because I could use bigger plants (as opposed to cuttings) so I'll keep looking.

I ordered online from Amazon.  I would get more, but those are currently out of stock.  I got some initially that were a brittle plastic and the first one shattered when we tried to drill it.  The second set are softer plastic and drilled easily.

On 11/14/2021 at 3:43 PM, Patrick_G said:

Severum

Me?  Mine are Irian Red Rainbowfish. I have 2 and they ARE beautiful. They were only about an inch long when we got them. 

On 11/14/2021 at 3:55 PM, Odd Duck said:

I ordered online from Amazon

I love Amazon!  I'll keep an eye out for them there...Thanks!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 11/14/2021 at 1:46 PM, Atitagain said:

Awesome idea! Really will help promote a more educational approach to this hobby.

Just to be very clear, it is awesome idea, but it was not mine.  I didn't state that well the first time, and I do not want to take any credit for it, when none is deserved.  Sorry about any confusion. 

I was asked about helping figure out how to pull it off because I served on the board for an international <insert hobby here> society and was the person in charge of the granting program for them for several years.  I also think it's a great idea for MAS, but I can't take credit for having it.  I will try to help make it a reality though.  😁  And if we do, I'll keep folks posted about it in the MN Happenings thread here.

Edited by OnlyGenusCaps
somehow quad posted the same message
  • Like 2

On 11/14/2021 at 2:14 PM, dmurray407 said:

@dasaltemelosguy How does this look? They don't get much natural light there  and I want them photosynthesizing so I'm going to add a little LED plant light a few hrs a day.

50773EFA-0497-4BB4-A107-C84D40C4C0D9.jpeg

Awesome!

The roots don't need to be in the substrate. The lucky bamboo is happiest when only a couple of nodes are below the waterline,  so these should do well. Add the light, and watch them grow!

Just be sure to keep the tank topped off, if the roots get dry the lucky bamboo will die.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I was poking around on eBay today to try to find a filter sock hanger that will work with my planned sump, when I came across a planter for lucky bamboo that hangs on the side of a fish tank.  Of course, I immediately thought of this thread.  Anyhow, I thought I would share the find just in case someone wanted to try using this plant (or another) for nitrate reduction but didn't want to plant bamboo directly into their substrate.  Perhaps this would be a way to dip your tow in the emergent nitrate reduction world.  Anyhow, hopefully someone finds it useful.  Back to searching for sock holders for me... 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@dasaltemelosguy I have another plant that needs to be tested. It dropped nitrates during my recuperation from 80ppm to 40ppm over the course of 3 weeks. Frogbit in and water lettuce were added, as I couldn't lift things, so I messed up the controlled parameters. 

16432274758257119786491795001436.jpg.30191f3a0cf008fe14433ddbf6d5dff2.jpg

I did the first  water change on this tank since November. The bachelors are cracking me up.

The male zebra danios were swarming the gravel vac, and the male endlers were doing their "jazz hand body shake" as my spouse calls it. 

Over the weekend, nitrates were 40 ppm (down from 60 - 80 ppm when the rose finally rooted). Water change brought down to 20 ppm. Added frogbit from the 4', and today there's just enough color to say 5 ppm nitrates?

Found 2 more assassin babies to boot.

Thank you for sharing the hard science, I have been deriving great joy from reading your posts while I recuperate!

• Thanks 1

On 1/26/2022 at 12:12 PM, Torrey said:

@dasaltemelosguy I have another plant that needs to be tested. It dropped nitrates during my recuperation from 80ppm to 40ppm over the course of 3 weeks. Frogbit in and water lettuce were added,

Over the weekend, nitrates were 40 ppm (down from 60 - 80 ppm when the rose finally rooted). Water change brought down to 20 ppm. Added frogbit from the 4', and today there's just enough color to say 5 ppm nitrates?

@Torrey. That's an incredible reduction in such a short period. Thanks for telling me as I'd like to continue to test aquatic plants for nitrate and ammonia consumption as we were testing only emergent's at the time. I'd like to try to expand the database, so I think floaters are a good place to start. It makes a great deal of sense in that being floaters, they would naturally see stronger light than submerged as a whole and that would bias them towards nitrate uptake vs ammonia uptake as the submerged plants are biased towards in large measure. But 5PPM? Wow. 

Over time I ran into two issues with the emergent's. I had pothos, lucky bamboo, monstera, peace lilies and anthurium. It added lots of color and cool looking roots. But I can't find any plants so far that the pothos and bamboo don't outcompete! After repeatedly killing all the monstera, lilies and anthuriums, I gave up and pothos and bamboo own the tanks now!

(Perhaps illustrating their nutritional preferences, the emergent's don't seem to affect the aquatic plants in the tanks). 

My 2nd issue is the bamboo is getting much less lucky. I had to move a ceiling fan, but it still wasn't satisfied. It's now less than 6" from the ceiling! I think we're going to try to train it to spread laterally...or install a skylight!

Thank you for the kind words. I'm so glad some people are finding some of the piece's worth reading. I hope you're feeling better. 

• Like 1

On 1/27/2022 at 12:02 PM, dasaltemelosguy said:

train it to spread laterally

Wrap a piece of tinfoil so it shades the uppermost portion and stem as well as part of the leaves. It will “reach” for wherever the light is entering.  That is how they make some of it curly by rotation of available light.  However I do love skylights 😁

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

On 1/27/2022 at 9:07 AM, Guppysnail said:

Wrap a piece of tinfoil so it shades the uppermost portion and stem as well as part of the leaves. It will “reach” for wherever the light is entering.  That is how they make some of it curly by rotation of available light.  However I do love skylights 😁

Thank you! I didn't know how they 'trained' them. That's a lot easier than a skylight!

• Haha 2

On 1/27/2022 at 10:09 AM, dasaltemelosguy said:

Thank you! I didn't know how they 'trained' them. That's a lot easier than a skylight!

My dracaena is now growing in circles on the ceiling. 

I added lights below the plants to try and train them to grow down, and that didn't work. When I am safe on a ladder again, I'll be notching the dracaena and wrapping it in moist burlap, and wrap the burlap in saran wrap to foster root growth. If you look at the base, you can see how many times I have cut this back, and each time I cut back I get 2 - 3 new stalks, plus the newly rooted piece. 

16434177223472779507627848864445.jpg

• Love 1

On 1/28/2022 at 5:01 PM, Torrey said:

My dracaena is now growing in circles on the ceiling. 

I'll be notching the dracaena and wrapping it in moist burlap, and wrap the burlap in saran wrap to foster root growth.

That's beautiful! I'm going to do the same now that I've seen yours. If I can get it to 'grow in circles on the ceiling', that would solve the entire issue. 

On 1/28/2022 at 5:01 PM, Torrey said:

If you look at the base, you can see how many times I have cut this back, and each time I cut back I get 2 - 3 new stalks, plus the newly rooted piece. 

Really? That's fantastic. I'd love to see these spread out, especially that high up. It's gorgeous. Thanks so much!

On 1/29/2022 at 6:15 PM, dasaltemelosguy said:

If I can get it to 'grow in circles on the ceiling', that would solve the entire issue. 

The trick is to be able to turn the plant [or rotate  the light source with the stalk in the center] so it keeps growing towards a [moving] light source.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Well, I was in my local reptile shop (well the older one, we have a new one too), and look what I saw they were selling:

379160356_luckybamboosale.JPG.c3a741a416a0e94fe9a9dcb886a7fdb9.JPG

I asked the associate there why they had so many of these, and they replied that adding them to a pauldarium keep the nitrates low in the water portion.  Then apropos of nothing, she added that fish keepers have found out that this plant works particularly well, and I could learn more by looking online.  So, apparently word is spreading to the herping community.  Interestingly, I can't find stuff like this at any of the LFS around here.  But now I know where I can go to get a stalk if I need one! 

• Like 1
  • Love 4