Chilli Rasbora breeding

Mr Gumby

Hi folks, picked up 10 chilli's yesterday and they're currently sitting in quarantine with some emerald dwarfs from the same store

I would like to breed them eventually as they're a bit spendy here in the UK.

My water is hard with a pH of around 7.3 and I'm wondering if the PH is too high for them to breed or can I just bring the hardness down over time with plants?

Or has anyone got them to spawn in hard water??

TIA fishy friends

• Like 1

On 11/7/2021 at 9:30 AM, Mr Gumby said:

Hi folks, picked up 10 chilli's yesterday and they're currently sitting in quarantine with some emerald dwarfs from the same store

I would like to breed them eventually as they're a bit spendy here in the UK.

My water is hard with a pH of around 7.3 and I'm wondering if the PH is too high for them to breed or can I just bring the hardness down over time with plants?

Or has anyone got them to spawn in hard water??

TIA fishy friends

Consider using rain water or ground water from a sump. Check the parameters first to ensure there's nothing else contaminating the water. This is how to breed soft water tetras, rasboras, etc. Soft water, live foods, appropriately planted tanks, and careful attention to light schedule are all keys to getting them to spawn.

Edited by Fish Folk
  • Like 2

On 11/9/2021 at 4:16 AM, Fish Folk said:

Consider using rain water or ground water from a sump. Check the parameters first to ensure there's nothing else contaminating the water. This is how to breed soft water tetras, rasboras, etc. Soft water, live foods, appropriately planted tanks, and careful attention to light schedule are all keys to getting them to spawn.

I might try it in one of my 5 gallons as collecting the rain water will be easier for that volume

• Like 1