Snail Identification

Endless3

Hello Everyone,

First time posting here and new to the hobby. I need some help identifying a snail. I think they little guy came into the tank through some red root floaters I've added. Looks to be a young snail. The only livestock I have in my tank right now is just a few (~5) Blue Dream Shrimp and a single nerite snail, and if Google is correct the nerite should not reproduce asexually. I've attach a photo. Any help on what type of snail it is and if it should be something I need to think about getting rid of. 

Also, I've remove the snail from the tank and placed it in another container, and for it size it is fast moving.  

Thanks in advance !
Nic 

snail.jpg

Edited by Endless3
update
  • Love 1

Tis a bladder snail my friend.  They are self regulatory if you don't overfeed.  I personally like them. I tend to over feed so they and my army of trumpet snails do well on clean up.  I have assassin  snails to control the population from getting way out of hand.  If you don't want them in your tank, get a loach. Most eat snails just please don't get a clown loach thinking its ok for a 20 gal tank.  Those guys get huge

Edited by Kittkat1981
  • Like 1

I find bladder snails helpful in my tanks, especially with the brown algae common in newer setups. My neocaradina shrimp enjoy the occasional squished tiny ones when I have more than I'd like. The spiral direction of the shell and the thickness of antennae are easy tells from pond snails. I don't have nearly as many in the tank with my kuhli loaches, so they may be snacking on the tiny ones.

• Like 1

They are fast little buggers. I always think of the tortoise and the hare when they are on the glass with my mystery snails. All the info already given is correct. Snails are beneficial in a shrimp tank. The waste they produce grow bacteria that is beneficial to shrimp. I also think their little faces are adorable when the are munching. They can also “walk” on the underneath side of the water surface which I’m always amused by. 😁

• Like 5

On 11/7/2021 at 3:33 AM, Guppysnail said:

They are fast little buggers. I always think of the tortoise and the hare when they are on the glass with my mystery snails. All the info already given is correct. Snails are beneficial in a shrimp tank. The waste they produce grow bacteria that is beneficial to shrimp. I also think their little faces are adorable when the are munching. They can also “walk” on the underneath side of the water surface which I’m always amused by. 😁

You are right about their speed! I've seen mine crawl all over my nerites when they are in some sort of torpor for long periods of time. They don't seem to mind. One of my bettas will occasionally peck tiny ones off the glass and watch them "fall", probably in response to being zoomied by the kuhli loaches that now run the tank 24/7. It's almost like his way of offering them an aquatic snickers to calm down for a minute 🙂

Edited by Jawjagrrl
you're not you when you're hungry.
  • Haha 4

If you have very small ones you with need the magnifying glass to tell the difference. As they look very similar when small. You don’t want pond snail unless you don’t want any plants or fish. Best way is the turns one the shell, good is to the left. Right twist is bad.

On 11/7/2021 at 3:33 AM, Guppysnail said:

I had one of my mystery snails eating the biofilm just scooting across the top eating. Upside down. I thought that big Mystery snails where to big to do that.

• 3 months later...
On 11/8/2021 at 9:21 AM, Brandon p said:

If you have very small ones you with need the magnifying glass to tell the difference. As they look very similar when small. You don’t want pond snail unless you don’t want any plants or fish. Best way is the turns one the shell, good is to the left. Right twist is bad.

I had one of my mystery snails eating the biofilm just scooting across the top eating. Upside down. I thought that big Mystery snails where to big to do that.

I have to disagree on the pond snails.... or maybe I have a different variety of pond snail?

Definitely not as pointy of a shell, has the white foot and thick tentacles/ antennae (they remind me of bat wings😍)

My snails are excellent at cleaning the leaves, and they only eat damaged leaves. They are leaving my plants alone, they adore raw carrots.

20220209_191807.jpg.cb25f28defb3542fb1e42cd2b897e31c.jpg

Now, I have another snail with a limpet shaped shell that I need an ID for, if anyone has any ideas? I took pictures from 3 different angles. I have no clue how long it has been in the tank. I don't think they could have come in a tubed plant, could they?🤔

20220216_173136.jpg.cbc09c07cdb04c3759bd1b0a15618c93.jpg

The foot almost hides the shell, or technically it looks as if the shell and pseudopod are one.

20220216_173316.jpg.5b5156f15da9642188112bf6bfdfa049.jpg

Neither side has a clear swirl. It honestly looks like a freshwater limpet.

20220216_173329.jpg.7a5d06dea13f8c7cdb4077e73e051381.jpg

This is from the other side, still very limpet looking.

So anyone have any clues?

On 2/16/2022 at 11:40 PM, Torrey said:

I don't think they could have come in a tubed plant, could they?🤔

I’m not certain on the id but the big box store tube plants are grown terrestrial so little chance of it coming in on that but anything is possible I suppose 🤷‍♀️  You always get the most adorable hitchhikers 😍

• Thanks 1

On 2/16/2022 at 9:40 PM, Torrey said:

I have to disagree on the pond snails.... or maybe I have a different variety of pond snail?

Definitely not as pointy of a shell, has the white foot and thick tentacles/ antennae (they remind me of bat wings😍)

My snails are excellent at cleaning the leaves, and they only eat damaged leaves. They are leaving my plants alone, they adore raw carrots.

20220209_191807.jpg.cb25f28defb3542fb1e42cd2b897e31c.jpg

Now, I have another snail with a limpet shaped shell that I need an ID for, if anyone has any ideas? I took pictures from 3 different angles. I have no clue how long it has been in the tank. I don't think they could have come in a tubed plant, could they?🤔

20220216_173136.jpg.cbc09c07cdb04c3759bd1b0a15618c93.jpg

The foot almost hides the shell, or technically it looks as if the shell and pseudopod are one.

20220216_173316.jpg.5b5156f15da9642188112bf6bfdfa049.jpg

Neither side has a clear swirl. It honestly looks like a freshwater limpet.

20220216_173329.jpg.7a5d06dea13f8c7cdb4077e73e051381.jpg

This is from the other side, still very limpet looking.

So anyone have any clues?

I guess if @Guppysnail doesn't know the snail, we ask @Biotope Biologist and @dasaltemelosguy?

Do either of you know the latin names of these snails?

[I am wanting to document my education into becoming a better water chemistry person, via snail professors. I believe in proper acknowledgement, lol)

On 2/17/2022 at 6:19 PM, Biotope Biologist said:

Looks like Lymnaea. I want to say it’s auricularia but I would need clear pictures of the whorls on the shell to confirmPond snails can have differing spires based on water chemistry and diet. If it has 5 whorls it’s auricularia if it has more it’s a different Lymnaea.

Common name is eared pondsnail.

Is this the closeup you need?

20220209_191830.jpg.54a6e46ba5d0044ff86180d8c2692038.jpg

It's really interesting to watch the heartbeat!

On 2/17/2022 at 9:39 PM, Torrey said:

Is this the closeup you need?

20220209_191830.jpg.54a6e46ba5d0044ff86180d8c2692038.jpg

It's really interesting to watch the heartbeat!

Ohhhhh that’s the one you wanted ID’ed! My bad that other ID was for the bottom snail. This cutie is Lymnaea stagnalis or great pond snail. From what I understand they can get pretty hefty with a shell diameter maxing out at 6cm (almost 2.5”)

• Love 1

On 2/18/2022 at 8:48 AM, Biotope Biologist said:

Ohhhhh that’s the one you wanted ID’ed! My bad that other ID was for the bottom snail. This cutie is Lymnaea stagnalis or great pond snail. From what I understand they can get pretty hefty with a shell diameter maxing out at 6cm (almost 2.5”)

I actually am being greedy, and wanting to get all of them with proper ID, lol.

I've been working hard at converting people into recognizing the positive benefits of snails. The Lymnaea stagnalis snails are not eating my plants. They are a fantastic clean up crew!

If I find the smaller guy, I will grab more pictures. My spouse was able to get this picture with their camera when I took my pictures:

20220218_160056.jpg.fccb520a79c4082acf5167d0d8b1f680.jpg

I didn't realize that it had any whorls, I couldn't see them at all with the naked eye. Spouse got a better close up, does this help?

And another forum member posted this cutie:

Screenshot_20220215-175351_Chrome.jpg.f501633a1ccd1c79198f3e23948388d4.jpg

The shell looks like a stained glass window!

• Like 1