The Value of Knowledgeable Staff at Your LFS

ForestJenn

I've mentioned elsewhere on the forum that my 11 year old son is interested in breeding Bristlenose.   After a lot of research, he wanted a male long fin green dragon and two super red females.  (I think he was hoping to get long fin super reds out of the mix.)   I hemmed and hawed because I wasn't certain if he'd be raising cross-beeds or hybrids.  Plus I had this nightmare vision of producing hundreds of fish that no one else would want because they weren't one thing or the other.

We stopped by Aquarium Co-op today to see the long fin green dragons and my son had lots of questions.  Over the course of the conversation, he (we) learned a lot. The staff members confirmed that the long fin green dragon and the super red are the same species.  BUT!  They also confirmed my concern that he'd be producing mutt fish and that getting a store to take them might be more difficult.  They talked about breeding ages, sex determination and gave him encouragement.

By the time we left the store he had decided:

1. That he would stick with one variety for now 

2. That he can be patient and wait for the two young fish we picked up today mature.

3. That he can maybe start a different breeding project in the interim.  Maybe Endlers?

All of this happened because the staff at the store took him seriously, were knowledgeable and were willing to share that knowledge.   One short visit ended up being a super positive experience and a bit of an adventure (which is exactly what he needs right now!)  They also saved us some potential heartache and frustration down the road.  (They also sold us two instead of the one  I promised my son. What can I say?  I was happy,  the price was right and the fish are cool!)

Edited by ForestJenn
Added missing word
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 3

• Administrators

I'm glad you had a good experience. It's probably carried down through the years, I've always taken children seriously as often time they are very passionate about the hobby and it's the best time to interact with someone who wants to learn.

19 hours ago, ForestJenn said:

I've mentioned elsewhere on the forum that my 11 year old son is interested in breeding Bristlenose.   After a lot of research, he wanted a male long fin green dragon and two super red females.  (I think he was hoping to get long fin super reds out of the mix.)   I hemmed and hawed because I wasn't certain if he'd be raising cross-beeds or hybrids.  Plus I had this nightmare vision of producing hundreds of fish that no one else would want because they weren't one thing or the other.

We stopped by Aquarium Co-op today to see the long fin green dragons and my son had lots of questions.  Over the course of the conversation, he (we) learned a lot. The staff members confirmed that the long fin green dragon and the super red are the same species.  BUT!  They also confirmed my concern that he'd be producing mutt fish and that getting a store to take them might be more difficult.  They talked about breeding ages, sex determination and gave him encouragement.

By the time we left the store he had decided:

1. That he would stick with one variety for now 

2. That he can be patient and wait for the two young fish we picked up today mature.

3. That he can maybe start a different breeding project in the interim.  Maybe Endlers?

All of this happened because the staff at the store took him seriously, were knowledgeable and were willing to share that knowledge.   One short visit ended up being a super positive experience and a bit of an adventure (which is exactly what he needs right now!)  They also saved us some potential heartache and frustration down the road.  (They also sold us two instead of the one  I promised my son. What can I say?  I was happy,  the price was right and the fish are cool!)

I Love that your child was able to adjust the plan after further education.   So many wont reevaluate after new information comes about 

24 minutes ago, BQuick said:

I Love that your child was able to adjust the plan after further education.   So many wont reevaluate after new information comes about 

Some of it he'd heard before because I told him my concerns about the whole species / variety thing.   But he's a great kid.  It's a lot of fun to watch him learn.  And like most pre-teens, he's much likelier to listen if the new information isn't coming from Mom.

• Haha 2

• 1 year later...