Question on Fritz Maracyn

ScarC

So, my poor beta has developed fin rot, after looking for ways to better help him I was lead to Fritz Maracyn. On the back of the box it says it can negatively effect beneficial bacteria, though on an aquarium co-op video the lady said it is fine to not use a qt tank as it  won’t negatively effect your bb. So I’m unsure if it will be fine just treating him in his tank? 
 Any and all advice is appreciated I’ve had my boy for a year and this is my first and hopefully last time dealing with fin rot - Thank you all. 

I haven't  ever noticed it having an effect on my "cycle" when I've used I, but that doesn't mean it won't. My best advice would be use it (you've  gotta get your fish fixed up) and suffer through daily test to see if your  ammonia starts coming up. If it does, you can add a little Prime to help lock it up, or some Fritz 7 or Turbo Start to bump the bacteria back up. Just don't let ammonia get over .5 ppm. If it does then you'll have to do waterchange, even tho it might  make the meds less effective. That's my 2 cents worth at any rate.

On 11/5/2021 at 2:59 PM, Mongo_like_fish said:

I haven't  ever noticed it having an effect on my "cycle" when I've used I, but that doesn't mean it won't. My best advice would be use it (you've  gotta get your fish fixed up) and suffer through daily test to see if your  ammonia starts coming up. If it does, you can add a little Prime to help lock it up, or some Fritz 7 or Turbo Start to bump the bacteria back up. Just don't let ammonia get over .5 ppm. If it does then you'll have to do waterchange, even tho it might  make the meds less effective. That's my 2 cents worth at any rate.

Thank you for the feedback.  You are right when it arrives I’m just gonna use it. Suffering through daily tests will definitely be worth it if it means my boy gets patched up and rid of this fin rot! I feel horrible!

Edited by ScarC

It can have a negative effect on the bacteria. I think you should still add it. That combined with fresh, clean water and a bit of salt should do the trick. If the ammonia does rise a bit, it is an excuse/reason for a partial water change with more fresh, clean water. That in itself will help.  Worst case, you may have to re-dose a bit of the erythromycin.

• Like 1

On 11/5/2021 at 8:06 PM, ScarC said:

Thank you for the feedback.  You are right when it arrives I’m just gonna use it. Suffering through daily tests will definitely be worth it if it means my boy gets patched up and rid of this fin rot! I feel horrible!

Anytime, I hope it helps and your boy gets all cleaned up, and don't be too hard on yourself, we've  all been there.

On 11/5/2021 at 7:37 PM, quikv6 said:

It can have a negative effect on the bacteria. I think you should still add it. That combined with fresh, clean water and a bit of salt should do the trick. If the ammonia does rise a bit, it is an excuse/reason for a partial water change with more fresh, clean water. That in itself will help.  Worst case, you may have to re-dose a bit of the erythromycin.

Thank you so much for the advice!