Best Substrate for Tank???

I just set up an experimental 20 gallon tall tank.  I put about an inch of dry cow manure, about the same amount of potting soil, and then about 1-1/2 inch of pool filter sand, and planted pearl weed.

If you, or anyone else, ever tries this, be VERY careful when adding water.  I wasn't careful enough, and some of the potting soil came up through the sand.

• Like 1

On 11/5/2021 at 10:25 AM, JettsPapa said:

I just set up an experimental 20 gallon tall tank.  I put about an inch of dry cow manure, about the same amount of potting soil, and then about 1-1/2 inch of pool filter sand, and planted pearl weed.

If you, or anyone else, ever tries this, be VERY careful when adding water.  I wasn't careful enough, and some of the potting soil came up through the sand.

oh boyyy, when you said be very careful when adding water i was waiting to hear you dumped water in and it splashed into your mouth.😱

• Like 2

On 11/4/2021 at 10:32 PM, sparklymoonshrimp said:

I've used the Fluval Stratum for Plants & Fish but it's so messy, it breaks down quickly into a fine powder that coats every thing. I'm wondering if there is a good planted tank substrate that is a bit more 

Does color matter or nutrient rich / no nutrients matter to you?

On 11/5/2021 at 11:11 AM, lefty o said:

oh boyyy, when you said be very careful when adding water i was waiting to hear you dumped water in and it splashed into your mouth.😱

No, but I've been around cattle all my life, and I've had it all over me; usually fresh and directly from the source onto my pants, and occasionally my shirt.  My father used to say "That's okay.  It's clean.  It hasn't been on the ground."

• Haha 1