Guppies, worth the time?

Atitagain

I went to a LFS and bought a male guppy and a female endler. 6ish hours after I got her home she droped like 30 of these F738D801-8BBD-4FCC-B534-D91B23B8C788.jpeg.38a832e9f149da96fbbdd56b959f01e6.jpeg

well 15 male 15 female. Then the original male female hooked up had some babies. Got a female guppy from a LFS more babies. Now all these are mixing up more babies more babies. Of coarse I don’t know who is mating with who my wife and I just loved seeing babies. So after about a year of this I give away like 40-50 fish and keep the 2 best  male and 6 female. I only breed with one male  and what I got was nothing like the father just drab males with a little color on their tails.

anyways I gave same person some and kept a few. When I moved the parents didn’t make it. Mom to a python mistake and dad passed a week later. So I have 10 fry from new too 1/2” and they start passing and unfortunately I’m still resetting all my tanks and only 2 survive. I tried medicating but they probably didn’t get the attention they needed. A M and a F is what I’m left with.FF910556-914C-45A4-84D5-A870B0838228.jpeg.40eb4799a7319be069baaf84599fe932.jpeg76DF2B09-92CB-4456-8D93-C015CDE9EF1F.jpeg.790bd188614387cba9ddbacc73b08132.jpeg

now I have them in my plant grow out and of coarse here come the babies. There’s 4 about 1/2” long now I see atleast 3 new ones today. And one of them has really red coloring.05A525D1-F4F7-4C46-B903-1A3089748430.jpeg.fa3cb31bc3385f322066ca0fda8e71f0.jpeg8D0371E4-9669-4B14-B8EA-7414D20E4E01.jpeg.d5ab681edfcc85e98971397434a0c1a9.jpeg

so question is are these worth my time (really just for kicks) to breed and see if I can get something good from them down the road? Or is this a waste of time because who knows what’s in there and if I wanna make beautiful guppies I should start fresh?

I like to breed guppies because it’s fun for me, but I kept the same breeds with each other I do sometimes play around to try to make something new. The muck bucks ponds that Dean has made, work very well and I can grow out all the breeds I have four right now and the number does go up and down. I have Fun with it.

A527E45F-94D2-4D99-BA6E-5030FD56DCBD.jpeg.9afd740e6a0f479c817295c00a704fa4.jpeg6E93CF82-1279-40CB-B832-A2A27CCCE7F8.jpeg.69c8a488cb14bab1530e3280f27f964a.jpegA527E45F-94D2-4D99-BA6E-5030FD56DCBD.jpeg.9afd740e6a0f479c817295c00a704fa4.jpegSorry it’s a little bit dirty it’s there breed box 5gal . Once the fish are born I my them to a small 2 liter bottle  just for a week or two so the can’t get eaten in the muck bucket. The top is the small guppies that will soon move to the muck bucket. There are only two in coke bottle because I could not them out because they were in a fine moss.I hit the 18 others and the grew pretty quick in the coke bottle small water changes Every other day, and some over feeding. Post the muck.

On 11/4/2021 at 9:41 PM, Brandon p said:

I like to breed guppies because it’s fun for me

That’s all it would be for me too, I have a lot of other projects going tho and would probably take this on as long as eventually I could get something I would be happy to breed. To keep breeding and get drab guppies I’ll just focus my time elsewhere and do guppies later when I have more time.

• Like 1

On 11/4/2021 at 10:17 PM, Atitagain said:

That’s all it would be for me too, I have a lot of other projects going tho and would probably take this on as long as eventually I could get something I would be happy to breed. To keep breeding and get drab guppies I’ll just focus my time elsewhere and do guppies later when I have more time.

I’m guppies are supposed to be Blue Dragon Indo Live Guppy but it’s not a great example. I was very upset I missed the livebearers show on the east coast of Florida I’m 1:15hours a way. I can get get very good fish I’m flordia

On 11/4/2021 at 11:43 PM, lefty o said:

if you have less than desireable lines in those few guppies, i myself would find a new trio that really catches your eye, and start over with them.

They look ok but local LSF likes them so it’s not it ok for now. My in the spring I have some other projects. I want to go to Tampa ,Fl for and auction but I have my son this weekend so I’m sure I spend most of the weekend getting my bottom whipped on the PlayStation 

@lefty oif have suggestions I’m open 

Edited by Brandon p
  • Like 2

On 11/4/2021 at 11:50 PM, Brandon p said:

They look ok but local LSF likes them so it’s not it ok for now. My in the spring I have some other projects. I want to go to Tampa ,Fl for and auction but I have my son this weekend so I’m sure I spend most of the weekend getting my bottom whipped on the PlayStation 

The TBAS auction is this Saturday. Its fish only but their biggest of the year. Kids are welcome but may be bored if they are not into fish.

On 11/4/2021 at 11:43 PM, lefty o said:

if you have less than desireable lines in those few guppies, i myself would find a new trio that really catches your eye, and start over with them.

That’s what I’m thinking mine are so jumbled up it would be best to start over.

On 11/4/2021 at 10:50 PM, Brandon p said:

my own personal favorite the last few years are dragon guppy's.

I think guppies are worth it, I get a lot of enjoyment of seeing new fry all the time. My biggest issue is predation.. there isn't any. Other than the rare occasion of some genetic defect, I rarely need to cull any. Even my females have a lot of color and for the most part the males come out with pretty consistent markings.

If your Mutts are robust and you like the color and patterns, then go with them. If not, then I'd start over and get some from a known good breeder, as opposed to an online source that gets theirs from large fish farms.

I got lucky and seem to have got some bullet proof ones years ago from of all places, PetCo. I know, who woulda thought?

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I second @Griznatch thoughts exactly. If you are not super fond of what your breeding you won’t enjoy them as much. If they are not robust I would not. Yes from a good breeder but if you want a specific type if you can get them from separate breeders it may/ may not give you a bit stronger genetics being farther apart on the inbreeding line. 

Edited by Guppysnail
Typo again
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Where are some good places to get guppies? That’s my next project. I’m thinking of buying some males from one breaded and females from another to reduce inbreeding. My LF doesn’t have any good ones and never has any luck and I really hate getting fish from Petco. 

• Like 1

On 11/5/2021 at 6:28 AM, Atitagain said:

That’s what I’m thinking mine are so jumbled up it would be best to start over.

If you check out the 1000 gallon guppy pond of Just Another Guppy Guy on youtube, you might get some ideas of how you could jazz your guppies up. It seems to me he includes a lot of Endlers because they are how you get fry that grow up with the neat spots, lines, and variety in tail shapes. I have two varieties of Endlers right now, and since the males are not 'ruined' by having a honeymoon with a female guppy, I plan to let my Endler males visit my big plain guppy females when I want to produce mutt guppies. 

On 11/5/2021 at 8:43 PM, Atitagain said:

@PineSongthank you, I will check him out. I’ve never really been interested in guppies till recently and seriously starting to see what so many others do now. 😃

I'm just fascinated by the different color combos and tail shapes, etc. I kept endlers many years ago but I never had guppies until now. I got some for my platy tank just because they enjoy similar parameters and added color, but now that I have some I'm obsessed.

Edited by PineSong
Duplicated again!
  • Love 1

❤️ Guppies!   
I feel like I'm never going to have a buy another guppy unless we just want a different trait!  
I'm about to have a 2nd generation, so Im curious if they will all be similar or if there will be some recessive genes that show up.
Its a fun ride. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

On 11/5/2021 at 9:29 PM, GameCzar said:

❤️ Guppies!   
I feel like I'm never going to have a buy another guppy unless we just want a different trait!  
I'm about to have a 2nd generation, so Im curious if they will all be similar or if there will be some recessive genes that show up.
Its a fun ride. 

I feel like I’m about to fall down a big rabbit hole. 😂😂😂

• Haha 2

On 11/5/2021 at 6:58 PM, Guppysnail said:

…..guppies are are the narcotic addiction of the fish world 🤣

On 11/5/2021 at 7:00 PM, GameCzar said:

She's not lying.   But its a really good buzz! 

....if we're being specific...meth/speed. equivalent. ...but the opposite, in a good way. hahaha

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
  • Haha 3