Hi to one and all

Shishi

I’ve recently returned to the fish world! Learned so much more but am still learning. Which I love! I’m hoping you guys can help me with this. I have a growth of something on the inside of my light cover. It looks like a 4” slug with a bunch of holes. I have a photo and if I can copy it to show you I will try. I hope you can tell me what it is and what to do

On 11/4/2021 at 10:06 PM, Shishi said:

Is this some normal size? Do the open holes mean the snails have hatched? Good golly this thing is huge!

It’s fairly big to what I’ve seen. But I think they can have clutches >600. Yes open holes are hatched. If you have a lot of fish you probably won’t have any make it. If you want to breed them catch it early.

On 11/4/2021 at 7:14 PM, Brandon p said:

I’m guessing with out seeing them the are mystery snail eggs. I guess I should this first do you have mystery snails.

Haha you got it first. 👍

It would probably just muck up the tank. I’m not sure but I don’t think anything will eat it till they hatch. And by the look of it (I’m no expert) it’s hatched what it’s gonna hatch. Others are not viable. It will form like a fungus looking coating then they will hatch. With half being hatched I would guess (like I said not an expert and this is a guess) the humidity is somehow different from one side to the other, like one side faces the light other side don’t.

it should with little effort pull off then clean the rest it will probably pull off as one big piece.

additional disclaimer: I am not an expert, you may wanna wait for others to chime in or do additional research.

good luck mate 

On 11/4/2021 at 10:13 PM, Shishi said:

hope that’s not a stupid question?

Of coarse not, we all asked the same thing I’m sure I know I did.

On 11/4/2021 at 10:13 PM, Shishi said:

Oh ok, so now how do I get rid of it? I hope that’s not a stupid question? If I put it into the tank would it be beneficial for the fish to eat? Is there any nutrients? Would it be bad for the parameters of this tank?

Keep the water level at the very top. I have some pics I will post them and footnote them as I can seem to get pictures in the right orderFB22201B-D104-4BFC-ACF4-C0ADE59A70C0.jpeg.b519fab17258138cc6d5b894f49350aa.jpeg

this is an egg cluster. The pink  motels you are still good. As they hatch it with start to turn white. In this pic there is about 2” gap between water an top of tank.I want them to trade with. If the tank a full to the top will prevent egg being lay as the can be to wet. If you were to see them as I do in a few other tanks that I don’t want babies, I just break the fresh cluster off and break up a little and drop in the tank. And that should stop or almost stop any babies

3B592C1B-3DB3-4A27-8779-637CAC2AEE87.jpeg.d658a0b4171fea1a6ac4a26dcbd722e5.jpeg

7B253038-2BEE-44D9-819A-7DD244B6AE5C.jpeg

532AEE6B-A546-4878-A6CA-6839B43F14CA.jpeg

92AA164B-0B33-4029-B1EF-39D029D28824.jpeg

On 11/4/2021 at 10:25 PM, Atitagain said:

It would probably just muck up the tank. I’m not sure but I don’t think anything will eat it till they hatch. And by the look of it (I’m no expert) it’s hatched what it’s gonna hatch. Others are not viable. It will form like a fungus looking coating then they will hatch. With half being hatched I would guess (like I said not an expert and this is a guess) the humidity is somehow different from one side to the other, like one side faces the light other side don’t.

it should with little effort pull off then clean the rest it will probably pull off as one big piece.

additional disclaimer: I am not an expert, you may wanna wait for others to chime in or do additional research.

good luck mate 

Of coarse not, we all asked the same thing I’m sure I know I did.

You did a great job explaining. I I do feedback the snail eggs most of the time when they’re pink that still means they’re fresh and they don’t have that hard shell developed if you start to break the clump up even small fish like neons that I have built it for a little pink eggs in at the gel‘s coming out of the eggs I really like that. The funny thing is in that same tank I have shrimp, The neons never eat baby shrimp in my tank boy do they love those eggs. In the post after I posted I get out a few pictures I only really spoke about the one about how to remove the eggs what they look like when they’re fresh . 

On 11/4/2021 at 10:29 PM, Shishi said:

Thank you! You’ve really helped me a lot!

Can I ask what fish you have or are planning to have

• Like 1