Jump to content

What is wrong with my fish?


Recommended Posts

Hello all.

A Forktail Blue-eye Rainbow / Pseudomugil furcatus female has started to swim in a very strange way. If you imagine  a box 1.5"X1.5"X1.5" then the fish swims inside it erratically in sharp and fast turns for 2-3 seconds, then all go back to normal and after few minutes does the same thing again. I have tested ammonia and nitrite both are '0'.

Any ideas?


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Certainly sounds like some form of flashing but I'm not qualified to say with certainty. Have you done a water change recently? My water has been getting higher doses of chlorine than normal this fall. Might dose a bit more dechlorinator but truthfully this all guesswork on my part.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/5/2021 at 12:07 AM, Colu said:

It could be  a parasitic infection but am not 100% sure that what's going on have you added anything  to the tank resently and is it only this fish showing odd behaviour

Two weeks ago I have added 11 Silver Tip Tetra (Hasemania nana) and two Spotted Butterfly Loach. This fish is the only fish with this behavior pattern. 

On 11/5/2021 at 12:13 AM, laritheloud said:

I keep pseudomugil signifers, they're pretty similar. Can you take and post a video of the behavior? That might help. I'm having a hard time picturing what the rainbowfish is doing. I hope the fish hangs on!

Will try to catch it, however, imagine an aircraft doing aerobatics in a very tight airspace (also, read the end of this post) 🙂.


On 11/5/2021 at 5:33 AM, Flumpweesel said:

Video would be best but is the fish rubbing on things / showing its belly ? That can mean ick.

No rubbing.


Anyway, as I mentioned yesterday, I have separated the fish and positioned it into a tank with fresh water and acclimatized it for about an hour inside a plastic bag. The fish was breathing very fast, performed its erratic movements and seemed to be left with no energy. I have added antibiotics (eSHA 2000) and anti Fluke medicine (eSHA gdex), this evening, the fish seems a bit better, breathing is normal and this erratic movements seems to be controlled. I have given a bit of frozen food (Coppipods). an hour after feeding second dose of medication went in, so all in all, there was a slight improvement and I hope that it will survive.

Thank you all for taking the time to reply.


  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

The saga takes a twist.

After time in isolation, observation and medication it seems that the fish got better so today I re-introduced it to the display tank. Once this was done I have started to clean the quarantine tank and syphoned the water when something caught my eye, just a small movement, there was a fish fry, probably about 1.0 - 1.5mm (1/16") long.


Fish goes mad, I put it into isolation, fish recover and find fry.

Does it make sense?🤔

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Create New...