What is wrong with my fish?

BenA

Hello all.

A Forktail Blue-eye Rainbow / Pseudomugil furcatus female has started to swim in a very strange way. If you imagine  a box 1.5"X1.5"X1.5" then the fish swims inside it erratically in sharp and fast turns for 2-3 seconds, then all go back to normal and after few minutes does the same thing again. I have tested ammonia and nitrite both are '0'.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Certainly sounds like some form of flashing but I'm not qualified to say with certainty. Have you done a water change recently? My water has been getting higher doses of chlorine than normal this fall. Might dose a bit more dechlorinator but truthfully this all guesswork on my part.

On 11/5/2021 at 12:07 AM, Colu said:

It could be  a parasitic infection but am not 100% sure that what's going on have you added anything  to the tank resently and is it only this fish showing odd behaviour

Two weeks ago I have added 11 Silver Tip Tetra (Hasemania nana) and two Spotted Butterfly Loach. This fish is the only fish with this behavior pattern. 

On 11/5/2021 at 12:13 AM, laritheloud said:

I keep pseudomugil signifers, they're pretty similar. Can you take and post a video of the behavior? That might help. I'm having a hard time picturing what the rainbowfish is doing. I hope the fish hangs on!

Will try to catch it, however, imagine an aircraft doing aerobatics in a very tight airspace (also, read the end of this post) 🙂.

On 11/5/2021 at 5:33 AM, Flumpweesel said:

Video would be best but is the fish rubbing on things / showing its belly ? That can mean ick.

No rubbing.

Anyway, as I mentioned yesterday, I have separated the fish and positioned it into a tank with fresh water and acclimatized it for about an hour inside a plastic bag. The fish was breathing very fast, performed its erratic movements and seemed to be left with no energy. I have added antibiotics (eSHA 2000) and anti Fluke medicine (eSHA gdex), this evening, the fish seems a bit better, breathing is normal and this erratic movements seems to be controlled. I have given a bit of frozen food (Coppipods). an hour after feeding second dose of medication went in, so all in all, there was a slight improvement and I hope that it will survive.

Thank you all for taking the time to reply.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The saga takes a twist.

After time in isolation, observation and medication it seems that the fish got better so today I re-introduced it to the display tank. Once this was done I have started to clean the quarantine tank and syphoned the water when something caught my eye, just a small movement, there was a fish fry, probably about 1.0 - 1.5mm (1/16") long.

So...

Fish goes mad, I put it into isolation, fish recover and find fry.

Does it make sense?🤔