Algae consumes ammonia...so does this mean its slowing down my cycle?

jthirtytwo

Nope diatoms are usually the sign that your beneficial organisms are responding to the ammonia and nitrogenous waste being produced, consumed or added. When the diatoms are gone you’ll know that your tank is maturing. Can take days to weeks to see the diatoms go away. I’d say you’re on schedule. Green algae’s are usually on the other end of the diatoms. When I see green algae I usually think I’m either ready for fish or awfully close.

What does your test kit show? 

• Like 1

On 11/3/2021 at 9:48 PM, jthirtytwo said:

Does this mean that the algae is competing with BB that needs the ammonia to complete the cycle?

The short answer is: Yes, but don't worry about it.

You are absolutely correct.  Algae will absolutely consume ammonia.  So will plants.  Their action will deny the "BB" of the ammonia they require.  Now for the "but".  As both @Beardedbillygoat1975 & @lefty o said, the growth of some algae is associated with a tank as it matures and becomes more stable.  This diatom stage you are describing is absolutely something most tanks seem to go through.  They, and most algae for that matter, don't consume enough ammonia to prevent your tank from cycling, or even delay it.  A very heavily planted tank can have enough plant mass in there to slow the cycle down noticeably, but then with the plants pulling the ammonia out of the water, there is greatly reduced danger to the fish anyhow.  There are multiple, biological routes to processing nitrogenous wastes in an aquarium.  It sounds like your tank is doing just fine in that regard.

On 11/3/2021 at 10:30 PM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

Can take days to weeks to see the diatoms go away.

True, unless you work very hard to keep it around as part of your intended decor.  😁