Starting a new Planted Aquarium

Sharlotte Adams

I’m planning a 55 gallon planted aquarium with Livebearers, Bristlenose Plecos, Corydoras, Otocinclus, and a few Mystery Snails (the kid loves them).

We are not opposed to using CO2, but we were hoping to stay kind of low tech if we can. We have a Hygger Advanced Full Spectrum Planted Aquarium Light to go the length of the tank.

I’m looking for a lot of green with some colors mixed in. We have both Planted Substrate and fine gravel for the top layer.  What plants would you suggest? I’m a stay at home mom, so I don’t really mind if it is high maintenance.

Since getting back into the hobby after some hard times, it has really helped with keeping me upbeat and out of the depression I had been dealing with. Any help and advice would be much appreciated.

I am not much of a plant guy, so I like the easy ones.

Like pogostemon stellatus octopus. It grows like crazy in my tank, and it is easy to propagate. My Brown hoplo catfish like to sit in the PSO like they are sitting in a tree

The other easy plant for me is jungle vallisneria.

Both plants get tall, but I think you can trim the PSO to whatever height you like.

Good luck!

• Like 2

I dont use CO2 . I dont spend alot of time on mine due to work . Java Fern , Anubius , and Dwarf Aquarium Lillies all do great and dont require alot of care . Also if you like floating plants Penny wort and Hornwort will do great and will grow enough that you will have to cut them back . The floating plants do a great job of keeping nitrates down . I rarely ever do water changes just add fresh water as it evaporates.  My CO2 is added by the fish and sponge filter . I try to run as natural and low maintenance as possible while maintaining a good  environment for the fish . Hope this was helpful . It's what works for me .1635975551514781087622187813787.jpg.7369012c87918b83ebea0871ecda4970.jpg

• Like 1

Java fern, anubius to attach to rocks or wood.

Hornwort will grow great floating or fill up a background if anchored with weights or wedged in to rocks/branches. It hasn't done great actually planted for me.

Dwarf sagittaria for a grassy carpet

cryptocoryne wendtii and tropica for bronze colors in foreground ish areas

I've had good luck with hydrocotyle tripartita so far, for a more delicate looking leaf. It seems to grow tall or wide as needed but I need to play with it more.

I love tiger lotus as a centerpiece/ mid background plant. I also have background amazon swords that seem to be doing ok so far.

Both my tanks are no co2 and moderate /old tech lighting.

Good luck to you, look forward to seeing pics 😁

• Like 2

I like @Solstice_Laceridea of a dwarf sag carpet only issue would be the plecos I find they live to eat dwarf sag. You might do better with crypt parva. Also agree with @HH Moranton the PSO and you could throw in some baby tears (not dwarf), cabomba, bacopa and ludwigia as other stems that do well in low tech setups.

Any rhizome plants like @gregoryordsuggested Java ferns, anubias - you may want to do coffeefolia, congensis or one of the larger varieties since in a 55 nana and some the smaller varieties will get lost in a larger tank. Also African water fern bolbitis is excellent put it under the outlet for your filter as they love  flow. 

Aponogetons are great for bigger tanks - ulvaceus, Madagascar lace, crispus, all will give texture and different color greens while providing lots of cover and filling in the tank. 
Id also advocate for sword plants - yes your Plecos will hand out on them and cause holes but I think it’s a small price to pay for a plant that will give you a lot in volume, color and creating habitat.

Valisineria is interesting as I’ve had mixed luck with it. I’ve had better success with crypts - all the wendtii species, retrospiralis, balansae etc give them some root tabs and man they’ll take off. In fact, for any of the plants mentioned above root tabs are super important just come up with a schedule - monthly, every other month, quarterly and stick with it. 

I think it’s great you’re getting so much from the hobby and look forward to seeing your results. If you want to see some of these plants check out my journal. 

• Like 3

I just set up my new planted tank in July, after many years without one--I am jealous of you having 55 gallons to plan for--that's sweet!

I have a low tech setup (gravel, Finnex Stingray on a timer, no CO2) and I have had mixed luck but consider that part of the fun--seeing what works and what doesn't, etc.

If I got a do-over on my tank I would have some soil under the substrate and I would have larger sections of the tank dedicated to one kind of plant. Because I wasn't sure what would thrive, I kind of have one-of-this, one-of-that syndrome and I'm having to be patient while they multiply enough for me to make them into big clumps of things.

I read recently that having 70% percent of your substrate planted will help to prevent algae. I'm probably closer to 50% planted right now in my 20L and eager to reach the 70% mark. I hope you enjoy your new tank as much as I've enjoyed mine. 

I just set up my new planted tank in July, after many years without one--I am jealous of you having 55 gallons to plan for--that's sweet!

I have a low tech setup (gravel, Finnex Stingray on a timer, no CO2) and I have had mixed luck but consider that part of the fun--seeing what works and what doesn't, etc.

If I got a do-over on my tank I would have some soil under the substrate and I would have larger sections of the tank dedicated to one kind of plant. Because I wasn't sure what would thrive, I kind of have one-of-this, one-of-that syndrome and I'm having to be patient while they multiply enough for me to make them into big clumps of things.

I read recently that having 70% percent of your substrate planted will help to prevent algae. I'm probably closer to 50% planted right now in my 20L and eager to reach the 70% mark. I hope you enjoy your new tank as much as I've enjoyed mine. 

• Like 2

I would plant double what you think you should between die off and just the normal mistakes as you progress through the hobby I would tell any newer hobbyists to go after it when it comes to plants. Stick with the ones on the low tech lists and what’s been discussed in this thread and you should do fine.  
In terms of soil which @PineSongbrought up if you’ve already used a “planted substrate” depending on what it is you Have or could have something approximating soil. What @PineSongis bringing up is the world of using organic planting/potting soils under a sand and or gravel cap to be the nutrients your plants will partially feed on. We can give you more help if we know which planted substrate you chose. 

On 11/4/2021 at 12:47 AM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

I would plant double what you think you should between die off and just the normal mistakes as you progress through the hobby I would tell any newer hobbyists to go after it when it comes to plants. Stick with the ones on the low tech lists and what’s been discussed in this thread and you should do fine.  
In terms of soil which @PineSongbrought up if you’ve already used a “planted substrate” depending on what it is you Have or could have something approximating soil. What @PineSongis bringing up is the world of using organic planting/potting soils under a sand and or gravel cap to be the nutrients your plants will partially feed on. We can give you more help if we know which planted substrate you chose. 

Seachem Flourite for the substrate, we also have Aquarium coop Root Tabs and Easy Green Fertilizer.

I don't think you can go wrong with valisenaria, crypts, and anubias, and I also really like the red flame swords.  I set up a 95 gallon tank last year, and I'm happy with how it turned out.  I've gone with dwarf water lettuce for my floater because it's super easy to remove when it overgrows.  I also have dwarf sag in the foreground, but it doesn't really show in the pic.

20210820_201912 (1).jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Oh, I forgot--the other one I really, REALLY like is hygrophila augustifolia.  It's the bright green stuff in the upper right.  Grows great, super easy.  I got mine from a club auction, so that would be the only thing--it's not uncommon, but I think you'd have to look around for sources.

My tank is incredibly low tech and has a sand substrate. jK3ONwXTMJKQT3Pm_zrTPmTHMnXB9YEzNZuQHHNwgU5AweL-_30HIZ1chho_cxWzrveKKdk89oDiXNmW2_YYwrK9wTnfodsuzG_rw5ZnO-WT-5VFt73HEmuE3eYBRnPK_A46Fvsq

I'm not sure if you could call it heavily planted but it does have plants. It used to be almost like a jungle but I cut a lot of the plants back. I have some java fern on the log to the right. Some discount stem plant in the front. An anubius in the front as well. And my favorite pogostemon octopus. I started out with a 3 inch tall specimen and all the plants in the back are what is has grown to be. They are super easy to care for and probably the most low maintenance plant. They also grow like a weed, what you see now is actually about 1/4 of the total pogostemon I had before I pruned them. Something else to try would be water lettuce. i have some in the upper right corner. Every two weeks they end up covering the surface of my tank so I have to get rid of them. But super low maintenance. 

Hope this helps.

• Love 1