Vinegar eels

Leo2o915

On 11/2/2021 at 4:59 PM, Odd Duck said:

It’s probably what’s called “the mother” which is a collection of organisms, usually including vinegar eels.  Keep an eye on it since there is sometimes too much bacterial growth.

Gotcha was tripping cause didn’t want it to go bad and then feeding the fish they would get sick 

On 11/2/2021 at 7:04 PM, Leo2o915 said:

Gotcha was tripping cause didn’t want it to go bad and then feeding the fish they would get sick 

Should be OK, just keep an eye on it.  I always separate the vinegar eels before feeding, anyway.  Someone mentioned they felt they lost some fry from a significant pH drop from feeding vinegar eels.  I got my vinegar eel harvesting and care tips mainly from an article that I can’t seem to link here.  I’ll see if I can link it to you in a DM.

On 11/2/2021 at 5:26 PM, Odd Duck said:

Should be OK, just keep an eye on it.  I always separate the vinegar eels before feeding, anyway.  Someone mentioned they felt they lost some fry from a significant pH drop from feeding vinegar eels.  I got my vinegar eel harvesting and care tips mainly from an article that I can’t seem to link here.  I’ll see if I can link it to you in a DM.

yeah I heard you can't add any apple cider vinegar 

On 11/2/2021 at 7:27 PM, Leo2o915 said:

yeah I heard you can't add any apple cider vinegar 

Funny, that’s exactly what I use for the eels.  Half apple cider vinegar and half water with a few slices of apples.  But to harvest, I put a plug of floss tied to a string into the neck of the bottle to where it just touches the vinegar.  Then I add water to about 1/2” above the floss.  Wait 30 min to a couple hours and pipette out the water (which will only have a little vinegar in it).

Feeding a small volume of eels and slightly vinegary water intermittently into a 10 gallon hasn’t been an issue for me but I do have hard water.  I don’t feed them everyday since microworms are easier to harvest and more productive for me.

If you’re feeding into a very small container/tank, you should consider doing the filter method where you just pour a small amount of solution/worms through a coffee filter, then rinse them with tank/dechlorinated water to remove the vinegar.  Then back rinse into the tank or swish the inside out filter into the tank to feed.

Edited by Odd Duck

On 11/2/2021 at 8:26 PM, Odd Duck said:

I got my vinegar eel harvesting and care tips mainly from an article that I can’t seem to link here.  I’ll see if I can link it to you in a DM.

Would you send this to me as well please? Gonna be trying this soon and would love some good info on it!