Peacock cichlid tank plants

• Administrators

I am not sure where to get top quality silk plants from. I had a company send me some nice ones a few years ago that I made a video about, but I can't seem to find the video. I still use some of them in a few of my tanks.

However, with that being said, you can have real plants with peacocks, haps, and even mbuna if you choose the right plant and give them a chance to get established. I have had success with some plants like hornwort as an example. I have a few videos on African cichlids with plants as well if you need some ideas.

I have seen some swords , Java ferns, and Anubias in AC tanks. Like zenzo is saying they need to be well established or the cichlids need to be juvenile. I am growing out all 3 to use in movable pots. To place in my AC and Oscar tanks. And I’m trying to get floating plants in there as well but they keep eating them only thing I’ve found that works is pogostemon stellatus octopus. Growing some it out as well.

sorry I’ve never used the silk type decorations and never really seen it in stores, only seen it online a couple times and can’t remember where.

• Administrators
On 11/2/2021 at 10:51 AM, ThomasLC said:

Cam you list the live plants that can be used?  Can you also link the videos?

I cannot link my own videos on this forum (but someone else can). If you go to my channel and type in "African cichlids plants", you should see some pop up. 

I feel like I've linked @Zenzo's vids so often in ways that annoy him, be good to link a few when needed.  💀💀💀

Live plant vids:

Fake plant vid:

And no, I have no idea why I know all these vids.  For some reason they stick with me.  You are in my head Zenzo - knock it off!  I could really use that space for other things.  What was I doing before I read this thread? 

Edited by OnlyGenusCaps
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

You could also plant them in pots with a couple layers of pebbles around the base to help them stay in place.  It wasn’t for African cichlids, but for large Jack Dempsey cichlids that I did the 75 gallon redo (link in sig).  It’s working out reasonably well.  The jungle Val is struggling a bit and I wish I had a place for them to grow out more before I put them in the tank.

The rest of the plants are doing better than I expected.  The lucky bamboo is doing very well.  The emerse plants are doing very well in the sponge caddies and the HOB’s.

I know others have posted about using Anubias with cichlids.  I think they would just need to either be tied/glued down really well or have been established on wood/rock long enough to have attached themselves very well.  Seems like I’ve watched a video of somebody that did a pretty cool aquascape for Africans that had several different kinds of Anubias in the tank attached to wood.

Edited by Odd Duck