Tips on breeding Pearl Gouramis

ChrisD90

Does anyone have any helpful tips on breeding gouramis? How do I know if they are ready to breed? I've got a beautiful pair of pearls and they have recently gone a nice deep reddish colour on the bottom I don't know too much about breeding fish so any help would be amazing. Thanks 😀

A bred my pear gourami's over 10years ago by having  plenty of floating plants slow surface agitation. So it doesn't break up the bubble nest my pH 7.2 I raised temperature from 77.9 to 80  and I condition them on plenty live and frozen foods such as micro worms brine shrimp daphnia blood worms  that did the trick for me i would start feeding the fry on infusoria or  Sera micron  after 5days I would start  feeding them  brine shrimp then  micro worms when they get a bit larger

• Like 1

I bred a pair of blue gouramis about a year ago. Ik its not the same but you might find some of this useful. The fish bred on their own in my 180l community tank. The male chose a corner and kept the fish out of it. I had some floating plants around the area. Once I noticed the eggs I took the bubble nest out and put it into a separate container. Where the fry hatched and I fed them egg yolk for the first week, then switched to micro worms and brine shrimp. I didn't realised how long these fish take to grow out. I still have most of them in the tank about 10 months later. They get frequent water changes and are feed 3-4 times a day but they still take forever to grow out. So just be prepared that the fry might take longer to grow out. I didn't realise that until it was way too late. 

The pair spawned the second time, but it was a much smaller spawn. I also took the eggs out but less of them survived because I put them in the same tank as their older siblings. 

I didn't do anything special when trying to breed the fish, in fact I wasn't even expecting it. I fed them frozen blood worms and high quality flake about 2-3 times a day (smaller feeds) and they did the rest.  

• Like 1

On 11/3/2021 at 12:06 AM, Colu said:

A bred my pear gourami's over 10years ago by having  plenty of floating plants slow surface agitation. So it doesn't break up the bubble nest my pH 7.2 I raised temperature from 77.9 to 80  and I condition them on plenty live and frozen foods such as micro worms brine shrimp daphnia blood worms  that did the trick for me i would start feeding the fry on infusoria or  Sera micron  after 5days I would start  feeding them  brine shrimp then  micro worms when they get a bit larger

Thank you so much this is very helpful information. I will let you know how I get on.

On 11/3/2021 at 5:30 AM, Nik_n said:

I bred a pair of blue gouramis about a year ago. Ik its not the same but you might find some of this useful. The fish bred on their own in my 180l community tank. The male chose a corner and kept the fish out of it. I had some floating plants around the area. Once I noticed the eggs I took the bubble nest out and put it into a separate container. Where the fry hatched and I fed them egg yolk for the first week, then switched to micro worms and brine shrimp. I didn't realised how long these fish take to grow out. I still have most of them in the tank about 10 months later. They get frequent water changes and are feed 3-4 times a day but they still take forever to grow out. So just be prepared that the fry might take longer to grow out. I didn't realise that until it was way too late. 

The pair spawned the second time, but it was a much smaller spawn. I also took the eggs out but less of them survived because I put them in the same tank as their older siblings. 

I didn't do anything special when trying to breed the fish, in fact I wasn't even expecting it. I fed them frozen blood worms and high quality flake about 2-3 times a day (smaller feeds) and they did the rest.  

Thank you for the info this is very useful. Do you think they would go ok if I moved them into a floating breeder box in the same tank?

Thanks

• Like 1

On 11/2/2021 at 8:22 PM, ChrisD90 said:

Do you think they would go ok if I moved them into a floating breeder box in the same tank?

I think that a bit small for breeding gourami's the fry should be fine in a breeder box  I breed mine in a 15 gallon tank and move the adults after the fry hatched and left the fry in the 15 and I droped the water level to 6in to make it easier for the fry to feed and get to the surface

• 2 weeks later...

@Colu Hi I think I have just spotted a small bubble nest on the bottom of an Anubias leaf can you tell me if it is or not? The only other fish I have that lays eggs is a bristle nose and neon tetras but i'm pretty confident it's not them. Thanks.

(sorry for the low quality photos my tank is a double sided tank and its really hard to get a good photo.)

252846859_297713672224071_6653521423094996162_n.jpg

252967435_1973925152776493_5257488137786501635_n.jpg