Heat Pack Safety

CalmedByFish

Editing to add: I know this is far-fetched, but just incase, what's the safe way to deal with an activated heat pack that breaks open? (Maybe @Hobbit would know?)

I'm just 1 week away from that 1,000 mile move. I ordered ACO's 72 hour heat packs, and mylar blankets.

The fish and plants will be in 7 plastic totes. I'm thinking of wrapping 2 totes per mylar blanket, with 1 heat pack sitting between the 2 totes. (Every tote will have a thermometer that I can pluck out to check.)

See any danger in that? Like the heat packs warping the plastic of the totes, or a fire hazard, etc.)

Edited by CalmedByFish

• Administrators
On 11/1/2021 at 12:49 PM, CalmedByFish said:

I'm just 1 week away from that 1,000 mile move. I ordered ACO's 72 hour heat packs, and mylar blankets.

The fish and plants will be in 7 plastic totes. I'm thinking of wrapping 2 totes per mylar blanket, with 1 heat pack sitting between the 2 totes. (Every tote will have a thermometer that I can pluck out to check.)

See any danger in that? Like the heat packs warping the plastic of the totes, or a fire hazard, etc.)

If it were me, I would have something in between the heat pack and the tote. like folded packing paper or something.

I would also not have the plants in any of the heated totes. They would do better in cooler water than if it's too warm. 

Good luck with the move!