When should I take bristelnose pleco eggs out of the cave

Nik_n

Hey everyone, 

I have a male and a female pleco in my 180l community tank. It appears that they bred, which is great news because I was trying to breed them for about 2 months now. I'm pretty sure this is the dads first time. I saw three fry out of the cave. Two were eaten but one is stying very close to the cave. You could see the little fry but its mostly egg yolk (see pic). When should I pull them out? I think dad might have kicked them out by accident. He was siting on the eggs for a few days now (about 4 I think). 

I have a fry tank set up, and I want maximal survival rate thats why I want to pull them out. 

IMG_20211101_175145.jpg

The grow out tank needs aeration, but the fry don't need flow inside the cave. I pulled my cave as soon as I noticed fry inside and dumped the contents into a grow-out tank. I could not see any wigglers or fry in the cave after I dumped it, but it would have been better to put the cave in the grow-out tank and just let them come out when they were ready.

oh ok I though I had to leave the eggs in there until they reach wiggler stage. I saw a few escape the cave and get picked off, so I'm assuming some are ready. Also won't removing the eggs now cause them the fungus. I don't want to remove them until I know the risk of fungus is minimal. I would also put them in a fry tank with baby blue gouramis. Don't think they are big enough to eat them but I will still put a divider for a few weeks at least. 

What and when should I start feeding the babies. I have algae waffer, brine shrimp and veggis ready to go.

You could place a floating container in your tank and put wigglers there. Or just get a plastic hatchery. In any case you will need an air stone and would be good to use methylene blue to prevent fungus. I like to add small piece of driftwood and a bit of java moss once they all hatched. Then just leave them there for couple of weeks until they're big enough to be moved into a grow out tank. If you provide enough hiding spots gouramis shouldn't harm baby plecos. 

Regarding feeding; newly hatched fry will use yolk sac as source of food for first couple days. After that you should feed them something like Hikari First Bites or something similar. Then start feeding them baby brine shrimp and eventually move to veggies and wafers.