Best Polycarbonate Aquarium Lid

eddie462

Would this product be good for a lid? 

(3 Pack) PET Sheet Panels - 24" x 36" x 0.03" Plexiglass-Quality Lightweight and Shatterproof Glass Alternative Perfect for DIY Sneeze Guards, Face Shields, Railing Guards, and Pet Barriers https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082XR2CQ3/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_JQJ7ZT61QQA5FH3CTKKC?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

A lot of the YouTube video tutorials have links to products that aren’t available anymore. The lid will be for a 40 breeder and I need to cut out a slot of a hob filter that’s on the side. Here’s a picture of my aquarium. 

F378C8B6-D122-4FE1-ACB1-5804BBF17F36.jpeg

The hob is already BB established and I have a small cycled sponge that will be placed on the left side of the aquarium. Here’s a video of my Melanotaenia sahulensis “Skull Creek” that will be inhabiting the aquarium. I’m going to have to buy a new Tidal 55 because I cannot find a place to buy a leveling device to straighten the filter. 

AC3C6C00-1642-4A24-AD93-EF9CD02EE759.png

I was about to say the same thing BUT if he wants to keep the filter on the side he won't be able to easily cut the glass for a slot; he would have to move the filter to the back so there is that to consider 

On 10/31/2021 at 11:40 PM, s1_ said:

The glass lid sold at petco is 3/16" thick it fits the tank out of the box. if you buy online and pick up in store you get 20% off over $50.

Also I found the missing leveler for your filter.  Pretty cool they offer replacement parts, it looks like the leveler is the same on the 55,75,110

Edited by anewbie

On 11/1/2021 at 12:27 AM, Odd Duck said:

The twinwall greenhouse panels you can get from big box store (HD) is lighter, stronger, and easier to cut.  I do like sealing the ends with foil tape.  I use the 1/2” wide and I got it from Amazon.

Is this the kind you’re talking about? This is on Amazon too but it’s cheaper from Home Depot. 

79F42CCE-EF59-4FDD-8374-FC03F6754FF5.jpeg

On 11/1/2021 at 12:40 AM, s1_ said:

The glass lid sold at petco is 3/16" thick it fits the tank out of the box. if you buy online and pick up in store you get 20% off over $50.

Also I found the missing leveler for your filter.  Pretty cool they offer replacement parts, it looks like the leveler is the same on the 55,75,110

Thank you for the link. Idk why that didn’t come up in search results. 

On 11/2/2021 at 7:26 AM, anewbie said:

What impact does it have on the light passing through from above ? I presume from the structure it is a lot worse than glass...

It actually isn’t as bad as you’d expect.  It is designed to let light into a greenhouse but hold out (or in) heat.  It does tend to diffuse the light.  At this point, I don’t have it on any tanks that need a bunch of light because I have it on my 5 G culture tanks and on a 2.1 G cube that actually gets a bit too much light since I don’t have it’s light isolated and on a dimmer.

It claims to be similar to glass in visible light transmission (VLT) of 82-89% (or 80-90% depending on source) where standard glass (1/4” thick) is up to 90% or slightly higher with more VLT for low iron glass.  For smaller tanks, the glass lids are often thinner than 1/4” and would have better VLT, low iron glass that is thinner would be even better than standard glass but only to 91% even for Starphire glass according to what I found on some quick searches).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/2/2021 at 3:56 AM, Odd Duck said:

Yes, that’s the stuff.  Much cheaper from HD.

I’ve bought some of this from HD they had it in 2’x8’ sections. I’ve also purchased at M and they have it in 4’x8’ sections. It is a little cheaper at M if you need that much.

I agree on how it diffuses the light. They are designed for greenhouses so light gets through great, ive used it in a 60G tall and grew plants just fine, with weakish lights. Is it glass no but IMO it’s very acceptable. Now maybe if this is your main showtank and you want everything to be perfect and the lighting has to be just right since you have you HOB on the side you will have to get custom glass cut or move HOB to the back so you can use standard glass lid.