29 apisto tank is set up!

Kyle murfitt

Finally got the stand ! Tried out some Carib sea eco planted , black blast sand medium grit with a more fine black sand on top. Magniflow 220 underneath. Got my 2 sword plants , 5 Dwarf sagitteria , and 5 micro swords in and finnex stingray from aquarium co-op. Tried to make some natural caves , and  also have a pvc rolled in substrate cave hidden on the left side.  Seeded small acco sponge filter. Time to cycle this thing and then get livestock!! I'm excited !

20211031_185013.jpg

20211031_185007.jpg

• Like 1

You need more barriers if you will have breeding setup. You didn't mention the species of apisto but a lot of the common one are harem breeders and the female can be quite aggressive towards the male after the eggs are laid. Also the male can be quite aggressive towards the female if she is not ready to breed. Some leaf litter and driftwood helps a lot to provide hiding spots. Of course if you will have a single male those things are not necessary and some species this is not an issue.

• Thanks 1

@anewbie thanks ! Hoping I can get one male and 3 females but we'll see. And if the micro sword grows out it should help with separating some of the cave openings. Trying to get some double red agassazi 

On 10/31/2021 at 11:49 PM, anewbie said:

You need more barriers if you will have breeding setup. You didn't mention the species of apisto but a lot of the common one are harem breeders and the female can be quite aggressive towards the male after the eggs are laid. Also the male can be quite aggressive towards the female if she is not ready to breed. Some leaf litter and driftwood helps a lot to provide hiding spots. Of course if you will have a single male those things are not necessary and some species this is not an issue.

agassazi can be pretty aggressive. I would add more drift wood; leaf liter and rocks to create more barriers (block from view). I have hongsloi in a 29 and when the female isn't breeding she hangs out as far as possible from the male to avoid aggression.

• Thanks 1