Pogostemon Stellatus Octopus Floating Plant?

Zach K

On 10/30/2021 at 12:29 PM, anewbie said:

While you can float it that is one plant I highly recommend you plant and cut it frequently so it branches.

This is what I've done. The planted pogo octopus means you have leaves from the floor of the tank all the way to the top--it's not super dense (at least mine isn't) but at least there is something to break up line of sight/hide fry. Then I also cut it back regularly and float the clippings in that tank or another one.that tank or another one.

Edited by PineSong
Duplicates
  • Like 1

On 10/30/2021 at 6:57 PM, PineSong said:

This is what I've done. The planted pogo octopus means you have leaves from the floor of the tank all the way to the top--it's not super dense (at least mine isn't) but at least there is something to break up line of sight/hide fry. Then I also cut it back regularly and float the clippings in that tank or another one.that tank or another one.

I float cuttings in fry tanks, and plant (and clip regularly) in my larger tanks.

Nice thing about floating:

When you start a new tank, you can cut at the base of every 5th node, and plant the cutting for rapid propagation. 

• Like 1

On 11/2/2021 at 10:59 AM, Mary Mckinny said:

will the pogo octopus cutting grow roots? I have one that super long in a 75g that I want to cut in half but Im not sure if I can "plant" the cuttings, leave them floating for a while or toss.

I plant my cuttings, but I’ve had a few accidentally float and they did fine. If you trim them and replant often  you’ll get a much denser plant. 

• Like 1

On 11/2/2021 at 12:59 PM, Mary Mckinny said:

will the pogo octopus cutting grow roots? I have one that super long in a 75g that I want to cut in half but Im not sure if I can "plant" the cuttings, leave them floating for a while or toss.

They will grow roots at the nodes. Most stem plants you can just cut and stick in the substrate

• Like 1