Creature identification

KentFishFanUK

I have a small tank set up just to keep my nerite snail in whilst I medicated my tank with non snail safe meds. 

So anyway I had the bright idea of using it to culture some dapnia whilst I had it set up (got some to feed my tank anyway) and feeding them with small pinches of dried spirulina powder. I also threw in some driftwood and salvinia and some brown leaves I had cut off my java fern and have a slow trickle of air via airline tube without a stone. 

My daphnia isn't doing that great but that's another matter, I noticed I have a bunch of these tiny worm like critters all over the bottom on the tank, they don't seem to move much and are probably not even 1 cm long and finer than a human hair so really really tiny, what could they be? I thought detritus worms and planaria and things were a little bigger, like these are probably too small to even get a good picture of - like skinnier than bbs. I wasn't even completely sure they weren't like dust/clothing fibres but I'm sure I've seen them move in a very life like manner. Might try feeding some to my fish via a pipette but to be honest they might be to small for anything but fry. I think they look a lot like vinegar eels from the pics I've seen online but obviously they aren't in vinegar just tank water. 

Any ideas?

I’m with @GameCzar on possibly detritusvworms. Excess food hitting the substrate will increase the population but they are harmless and a live snack for your fishes. I’m not sure if you are aware but often medications not snail safe take months and months to no longer be harmful. It may even absorb into the substrate and silicone. Just a caution I wanted to share. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/30/2021 at 5:00 PM, Guppysnail said:

I’m with @GameCzar on possibly detritusvworms. Excess food hitting the substrate will increase the population but they are harmless and a live snack for your fishes. I’m not sure if you are aware but often medications not snail safe take months and months to no longer be harmful. It may even absorb into the substrate and silicone. Just a caution I wanted to share. 

Thanks! I did not know that. Will leave the nerite where it is for a while! 

On 10/30/2021 at 4:07 PM, GameCzar said:

Detritus worms that I've seen are tiny, so that would still be my guess.   I can't be certain though.

Oh ok I thought detritus worms were bigger for some reason! Might add some to my main tank then and see if they go for them. 

Do they make good live fish food? 

I don't have substrate in that tank and no fish food other than the dried spirulina powder, could they still be detritus worms?

• Like 1

On 10/30/2021 at 12:00 PM, KentFishFanUK said:

Thanks! I did not know that. Will leave the nerite where it is for a while! 

Oh ok I thought detritus worms were bigger for some reason! Might add some to my main tank then and see if they go for them. 

Do they make good live fish food? 

I don't have substrate in that tank and no fish food other than the dried spirulina powder, could they still be detritus worms?

My neons love them.   Don't get them anymore since snailmageddon set in, there IS no leftover food.

• Haha 2