On 10/31/2021 at 8:05 AM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

My apologies, I wasn't clear.  Like Patrick_G, I was showing photos of aquariums I am drawn to, not my own aquariums.  None of mine have reached the lofty heights of the photos I pasted.  My pseudo-salt tank is the nearest, and it is still leagues away.  Sorry to everyone, that I didn't make that clear earlier.  It is clear I failed in that regard and accidentally presented those as my tanks.  😔

No worries, those are prime examples of rock only tanks. Very intriguing, I still wonder are those real rocks or 3D backgrounds? Gotta be 3D right? Lol

• Thanks 1

I like anywhere from 2 to 4. In theory I wanted a moderately planted tank with negative space for my 55 gallon, but I couldn't resist planting it up. Whenever I get my fancy goldfish dream tank I will exercise moderation and just pick a few hardy plants that might withstand goldfish.

• Like 1

On 10/31/2021 at 10:03 AM, laritheloud said:

I like anywhere from 2 to 4. In theory I wanted a moderately planted tank with negative space for my 55 gallon, but I couldn't resist planting it up. Whenever I get my fancy goldfish dream tank I will exercise moderation and just pick a few hardy plants that might withstand goldfish.

I’m right there with you 2,3, or4 depending on  my mood. I’m in at 4 right now. 

I have been giving this some thought and all scapes can be effective, I think I prefer natural materials and plenty of plants. That is what I do and I embrace the chaos in my own tank.

However I thought about what I find appealing. I like scapes that offer the fish the opportunity to have a world outside of my viewing not just to hide but to just come and go in and out of sight adding elements of mystery and change too viewer. 

Saying all that though I have remembered seeing some tanks with Lego structures in them and love the whimsy but not sure how long such a static view would hold my interest.

• Like 2

On 10/31/2021 at 9:36 AM, Flumpweesel said:

However I thought about what I find appealing. I like scapes that offer the fish the opportunity to have a world outside of my viewing not just to hide but to just come and go in and out of sight adding elements of mystery and change too viewer. 

For me that’s an unexpected bonus to jungle tanks. Entire schools of fish disappear and reappear. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

@BlueLineAquaticsSCthat tank is awesome it has such a natural river feel to it. All the driftwood tangled in there looks like a current pulled it into a crevice.👍

@Flumpweesel yes embrace the chaos, like in @BlueLineAquaticsSCtank that looks so natural. I get and appreciate the delicately placed everything is on purpose look (as most of my tanks are) but the chaotic biotope-ish are the real stunners to me.

And like your saying about themed tanks IMO they should be looked at as short term. The one I’m planning will definitely be short term just to do something different in essence it will be a QT for a new type of tetra I will place in my main display. But like the show Tanked paying 10s of thousands of dollars and having a gimmicky huge tank in main living areas of your home? Definitely not for me.

• Like 1

On 10/31/2021 at 12:43 PM, Atitagain said:

And like your saying about themed tanks IMO they should be looked at as short term.

I suppose I disagree with that a bit.  My pseudo-saltwater tank is definitely a "theme" or a "concept tank" but I get endless hours of enjoyment form it and I intend for it to be like that for years to come.  I'm also thinking about doing a cave theme tank as well for a fish where that would be appropriate.  And the photos I picked, I liked because they evoked a certain theme as well.  To me themes are something that evokes a story for the tank. It I also like the driftwood jumble in @BlueLineAquaticsSC, because it does just that, suggesting a current that brought the wood to its current resting place, as you pointed out so well.  Indeed a biotope seems to be a theme too.  Whether it is meant to suggest a blackwater stream from the Rio Negro basin, or a fast flowing creek in Malaysia, or even a calm pond in Florida.  All themes I would argue.

In contrast, I see all of those award-winning, high-tech, planted tanks (AWHTPT) as temporary.  May of them are either setup as a short term display, or grown over time, then clipped and cleaned for that one photo.  Regardless, those photos, to me, represent single moments in time, not a tank that looks like that easily on any given day.  Sure, the work that goes into them makes that photo all the more impressive.  But I think it is also why, perhaps, I grow ever more attracted to hardscape elements.  That pile of driftwood.  The 3D background.  Those rocks that are placed artfully suggesting a scene in nature somewhere.  They will all be there today and still tomorrow.  They don't need to be fussed over the same way as those AWHTPT.  When I have a display tank in my home, I like that I can spend a lot of my time enjoying it, not adding elements that require more time to maintain it. 

Of course, it is entirely possible after that long diatribe, that I am completely misunderstanding what is meant here by "theme" in the same way I 100% misunderstood the assignment from jump.  🤪 

• Like 1

@OnlyGenusCaps I understand in a sense all aquariums are themed in one fashion or another. With the exception being breeding set ups. When I’m talking themed i mean non aquatic decorations, backgrounds, and maybe even equipment. 
6) themed = non aquatic decorations to create a special environment or feel that has little to no natural decor (like they do on the show Tanked a lot)

I think im just generalizing based on my thought of what a “themed “ tank is and assuming everyone else knows how I view it.  A themed tank to me has very little to no natural in a fish/ aquatic sense. Maybe I worded #6) incorrectly instead of themed could of used -non natural, unnatural, or artistic design. One of those would have described #6) better now that I think on it.

• Thanks 1

On 10/31/2021 at 5:23 PM, Atitagain said:

I think im just generalizing based on my thought of what a “themed “ tank is and assuming everyone else knows how I view it.  A themed tank to me has very little to no natural in a fish/ aquatic sense. Maybe I worded #6) incorrectly instead of themed could of used -non natural, unnatural, or artistic design. One of those would have described #6) better now that I think on it.

I was pretty sure about what you were looking for going in, but I did not realize how far one word could pull me into the weeds. Out of curiosity:

The local zoo's aquarium had a sewer themed tank complete with clay sewer pipes lots of bricks, roots, grass carp, and a beer bottle for good measure.  Does this example count?

• Like 2

On 10/31/2021 at 4:23 PM, Atitagain said:

(like they do on the show Tanked a lot)

I think I see where I got lost.  I do not know the TV show? "Tanked", so I had no vision in my head for that.  Thanks for the clarification on your intent!

On 10/31/2021 at 6:08 PM, Tanked said:

The local zoo's aquarium had a sewer themed tank complete with clay sewer pipes lots of bricks, roots, grass carp, and a beer bottle for good measure.

That sounds amazing!  Not amazing like I want a display like that in my house, but for educational purposes in that setting, absolutely perfect.  Can we get a photo next time you are there?  To be honest, some of the most effective pleco breeding setups I've seen, with all the clay tubes, remind me of a storm sewer display in some ways. 

On 10/31/2021 at 7:08 PM, Tanked said:

The local zoo's aquarium had a sewer themed tank complete with clay sewer pipes lots of bricks, roots, grass carp, and a beer bottle for good measure.  Does this example count?

Hmmm wow! I believe I would consider this a example of biotope . 
you have me scratching my head tho. Besides the roots and grass carp nothing is nature but it is an environment where actual nature exists and carp I’m sure probably thrive. 
to me themed tank= on Tanked they did a African cichlids tank for some rapper his name or famous song or something had to do with “dollar bills” so the made a very big and elaborate shelved cave system out of stacks of dollar bills (not real of coarse)

another example: Tanked did a aquarium for a famous DJ it’s only decoration (I think only) was a 3 headed dragon chained to a stone tower.

• Like 2

I’m most into type 4 with lots of plants and some hardscape in any combination of wood or stone done as “natural” as possible and still with a pleasing appearance.  Composition can help but is not required for me to like the tank.  I also like type 5 sometimes, but some of the very bare tanks don’t appeal as much to me.  Which is why my angelfish “biotope” tank will be VERY loosely interpreted since I want a good amount of plants and “from South America” is close enough for me, at least for this tank.

I even sometimes like type 6 tanks even though that’s not my personal style but some I find interesting if well done or cute enough.  The Wonder Woman tank by @TheCzarista I think is a good example.  It would have never crossed my mind to so this but I think it’s still a cute theme and well done tank.  I’ve also seen some tanks with other themes that have a more natural appearance with fake stone sculptures or buildings that I think are still very well done and tasteful

I’m definitely not a Glofish/Glo rocks/Glo whatever deco fan.  I appreciate the bright colors, and to each their own, but just too unnatural for me and I’m not a big fan of GMO when it’s known to shorten the animal’s lifespan.  Not nearly as bad as the old style of injecting fish with dyes, but still they have a slightly shortened lifespan due to the genetic tinkering.  I even got a plakat Betta so he would be far less likely to have health issues related to excessive finnage and avoided many color varieties that are known to have increased risk of various health issues, despite the appeal of the appearance.

Apologies since not on topic anymore, but the train of thought lead me here:  I don’t believe in creating animals that have built in health problems.  Don’t ask me about brachycephalic or dwarf dog and cat breeds if you don’t want to hear the answers.

Edited by Odd Duck
Correct typo on types of tanks
  • Like 4

On 10/31/2021 at 3:52 AM, Atitagain said:

Awesome, great mix of wood, rock, and plants. Very well balanced.

thank you. the large piece of wood on the far left is realy 6 smaller pieces of wood glued together to make one large piece.

On 11/1/2021 at 4:38 AM, scott the fishman said:

thank you. the large piece of wood on the far left is realy 6 smaller pieces of wood glued together to make one large piece.

IMG_20210923_113022.jpg

IMG_20211027_123909.jpg

• Like 3

I think so far it’s went like I figured.
Mostly 4)s heavily planted,

2) rocks/ wood + 3) light planted are about even for second place

A couple 1)s box store/ fake

0- 7s other, 6s themed/ artistic design, and 5)s biotope 

I thought would be some biotope. Because I think alot of us go for a nature feel, but I understand biotope often isn’t pleasing to the eye even very muddy and blaaa. Not surprised at all that heavy planted is way ahead of everything else on this forum. What I mean is if this was a cichlids forum  I’m sure 2) rocks/ wood would be far out front.

thanks everyone for replying ive seen some very interesting aquascaping and learned along the way.

On 11/1/2021 at 12:17 PM, Atitagain said:

I think so far it’s went like I figured.
Mostly 4)s heavily planted,

2) rocks/ wood + 3) light planted are about even for second place

A couple 1)s box store/ fake

0- 7s other, 6s themed/ artistic design, and 5)s biotope 

I thought would be some biotope. Because I think alot of us go for a nature feel, but I understand biotope often isn’t pleasing to the eye even very muddy and blaaa. Not surprised at all that heavy planted is way ahead of everything else on this forum. What I mean is if this was a cichlids forum  I’m sure 2) rocks/ wood would be far out front.

thanks everyone for replying ive seen some very interesting aquascaping and learned along the way.

On 11/1/2021 at 9:33 AM, Solstice_Lacer said:

I like using natural wood and stone though I find myself trying to fill every free space with plants

20211101_103030~2.jpg

very nice!!! tight scape. i like the rock wall then the substrate in front with the grass

• Thanks 1

On 11/1/2021 at 12:33 PM, Solstice_Lacer said:

I like using natural wood and stone though I find myself trying to fill every free space with plants

20211101_103030~2.jpg

Really liking how the background plants hug in a little bit on each corner It draws my eye inward and around. Very nice scape!
I tend to have bigger tanks so on my budget it’s hard to fill tanks in this way. But they are growing and I’m trying to quit jumbling tanks around but I always seem to be Atitagain.

• Thanks 1

So sometimes things just happen by accident. My 10 gallon was just going to be a grow out tank for baby Otos. So most of it was just thrown together in anticipation for easy catch to the LFS. I went bare bottom and put plants in pots (went with a green jade color on both), threw some of my other random hides/decorations that were pulled from other tanks, fed them from one of the bowls I already had to try and keep it contained. threw in a few glass pebbles, and some rocks from other tanks and some plants attached to rock and wood as well. THEN I decided to KEEP all the Otos. So then I had what I thought was a slightly janky looking tank. I've since gotten them their own zen feeding bowl, added another larger piece of wood to the front with some Narrow Leaf. Otos love a good hide so I got two custom hollow coconut houses (that are up off the bare bottom for easier cleaning) and a "rock" hideaway. It's starting to become one of my favorite tanks. 

So I went from the first pic (before) to the last pics (now), don't mind the floating breeder I've got 5 new baby Otos in it. 

Resized_20211007_164717.jpg

Resized_20211104_230907.jpg

Resized_20211102_153544.jpg

• Like 1

The two styles I haven’t done that appeal to me are iwaguimi and Dutch style aquascapes. There’s a simplicity but I know it’s not simple look to them that plays on depth, how the mind perceives the scapes, color, shade and it’s a challenge I want to take on down the road. 

Up to this point I’ve been a jungle scaper with some exceptions- I’ve done some hill tanks that didn’t work out that well but it was fun to plan and try to execute. 

In general I start with some rock or wood and an idea of the fish I want then work from there. The tower tank and The Sad Bowl are the best examples of what I’ve learned up this point. A18CAD93-1DAE-489E-9D29-5C37A689C2D0.jpeg.f18bbe43cc11a8229564951508b1b382.jpeg2C27A995-CA47-486D-A66B-EF87378A7D4E.jpeg.81154f3bf0eaacc25dd5efeee59f9468.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 11/5/2021 at 2:16 AM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

So sometimes things just happen by accident. My 10 gallon was just going to be a grow out tank for baby Otos. So most of it was just thrown together in anticipation for easy catch to the LFS. I went bare bottom and put plants in pots (went with a green jade color on both), threw some of my other random hides/decorations that were pulled from other tanks, fed them from one of the bowls I already had to try and keep it contained. threw in a few glass pebbles, and some rocks from other tanks and some plants attached to rock and wood as well. THEN I decided to KEEP all the Otos. So then I had what I thought was a slightly janky looking tank. I've since gotten them their own zen feeding bowl, added another larger piece of wood to the front with some Narrow Leaf. Otos love a good hide so I got two custom hollow coconut houses (that are up off the bare bottom for easier cleaning) and a "rock" hideaway. It's starting to become one of my favorite tanks. 

So I went from the first pic (before) to the last pics (now), don't mind the floating breeder I've got 5 new baby Otos in it. 

Resized_20211007_164717.jpg

Resized_20211104_230907.jpg

Resized_20211102_153544.jpg

It is crazy how sometimes everything just randomly falls into its place. Those coconut hides are awesome are they made to hang or did you somehow hang them yourself? I’ve never seen them used like that, are your otos using them?

• Like 1

On 11/5/2021 at 3:00 AM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

The two styles I haven’t done that appeal to me are iwaguimi and Dutch style aquascapes. There’s a simplicity but I know it’s not simple look to them that plays on depth, how the mind perceives the scapes, color, shade and it’s a challenge I want to take on down the road. 

Up to this point I’ve been a jungle scaper with some exceptions- I’ve done some hill tanks that didn’t work out that well but it was fun to plan and try to execute. 

In general I start with some rock or wood and an idea of the fish I want then work from there. The tower tank and The Sad Bowl are the best examples of what I’ve learned up this point. A18CAD93-1DAE-489E-9D29-5C37A689C2D0.jpeg.f18bbe43cc11a8229564951508b1b382.jpeg2C27A995-CA47-486D-A66B-EF87378A7D4E.jpeg.81154f3bf0eaacc25dd5efeee59f9468.jpeg

Dutch style really calls to me i hope I can one day grow plants well enough to pull something in the realm of that style off.

• Love 1