What calcium readings should I be aiming for?

Hobbit

I got a calcium test kit and I’m now that I’m using it, I’m wondering what I’m actually supposed to be looking for. 😆

I know that shrimp, snails, and livebearers need extra calcium in the water compared to other fish. But how much do they need? Something more than 0? A lot more than 0?

Any insight on calcium levels is appreciated. 😊

Okay awesome. So if I have moderate GH but low calcium, should I still add calcium to get a higher calcium:magnesium ratio? Even if the calcium level itself is 3 degrees? I assume that depends on what hardness my particular fish like.

I guess what I’m asking is: how important is it that the calcium is higher than the magnesium?

On 10/29/2021 at 10:48 PM, Hobbit said:

Okay awesome. So if I have moderate GH but low calcium, should I still add calcium to get a higher calcium:magnesium ratio? Even if the calcium level itself is 3 degrees? I assume that depends on what hardness my particular fish like.

I guess what I’m asking is: how important is it that the calcium is higher than the magnesium?

That's an excellent question, and the only answer I have is that's what some of the top planted aquarists are running. Planted tanks seem to grow better in those ranges according to them. The livestock flourish in these conditions too. But these are certainly soft water species. 

If you are keeping hard water live stock, I would attempt to raise Ca and Mg to match those "standard" ratios. I would think doing this would be very safe.

As far as one being higher than the other, I would assume it's fine. As long as toxicity doesn't occur, I'd imagine it's fine. Maybe not ideal, but fine.

This article covers some basics.

https://www.2hraquarist.com/blogs/ph-kh-gh-tds/gh-explained

Edited by Mmiller2001
  • Thanks 1

On 10/29/2021 at 10:14 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

As far as one being higher than the other, I would assume it's fine. As long as toxicity doesn't occur, I'd imagine it's fine. Maybe not ideal, but fine.

This would be my /guess/ too.  It's also unclear to me how much inverts pull calcium from the water vs from food, but either way I think sufficient levels are probably more important than a specific ratio.  I suspect that the stated ratios are to help you when remineralizing water but trying to keep gh lower.

• Like 1

This is pretty great to hear, actually. Now that I have some sort of natural-process water softener (for now) I've had to add minerals to the water to get some GH readings. With wondershells I've been getting about a 5 or 6 GH reading and I'm calling it good. I'll be testing the tap's GH before every water change so I know what's going in the tank. Expecting it to change to harder water again seasonally...

Good luck finding an optimal ratio!