New use for 1970's aqaurium heater on Ziss Brine Shrimp Hatchery

Rich T.

Found a new use for some old heaters I had from back in the day. This is a test run to see how it works. I do have a eheim 50watt that does fit down the opening in the top, but with following Cory's directions, the water would be down a ways from the minimum recommended water level indicated on the heater, so I wasn't brave enough to see if it would still work without cracking the heater.IMG_0883.jpg.fc45bdfb263c1d202e7d06459ecf2fd9.jpg

• Like 2

I'm using a FLuval 50 watt. It works perfectly but you need to use a full 2 liters. I stuff a little paper towel around the top to keep it perfectly horizontal and have the bubbler output right next to it to keep flow moving up it and circulating through the hatcher.

Do you guys have a heater that fits in the lid the way the it’s intended? My house is too cool and I’m getting poor hatch rates plus it takes several days to hatch. I wasn’t sure doing a totally submersed heater would be better then sticking one in the lid but I can’t find one that doesn’t have to be fully submersed. 😕

Thanks

nicole 

• 3 years later...
On 10/9/2020 at 2:31 PM, Tetra Guy said:

i went with Mick’s recommendation and got the Uniclife 25w, inexpensive and fits exactly. My first batch hatched in under 24hrs an omg, its an explosion of bbs! Need to put less eggs in next time!  

43A3A76F-ABFB-4200-BB5E-80DCC886DEB0.jpeg

@Tetra Guy super old post so I’m not sure if this will get a reply, but did you have any issues with the water not being up to the minimum water line on the heater? I have the same one but I’m nervous to try because I don’t want it to crack or explode or anything 

On 10/5/2020 at 4:47 AM, Lady Libby said:

I'm looking for a heater that will fit down the opening of the ziss hatch

I bought this 10 watt preset at local Petco.

image.jpg.09f444c0a8c08959fb25031eea41a722.jpg

image.jpg.48453831a0bea9554d7a37758bd16029.jpg

I would worry about the 50 watt over shooting the temp setting due to thermall mass and inertia.

• Like 1