Lighting choice NICREW SkyLED vs Finnex Planted+ 24/7

Drenon88

I have a cheap two tube LED shop light sitting on my planted 55g tank and I'd like to upgrade it to something with red & blue lights to benefit the plants but I don't want to spend a ton of money on the Fluval Plant 3.0.

I'm considering the NICREW SkyLED and the Finnex Planted+ 24/7 - the NICREW is about half the cost of the Finnex and I'm wondering if anyone thinks that the Finnex is worth the extra expense and if so, why?

I have two smaller Finnex lights that I'm satisfied with and I think the build quality is good and solid. I suspect that some of the price difference between the two candidate lights is the build quality of the Finnex over the NICREW.

Please share your thoughts! Thank you!

I've gone with the cheaper option twice and done nicrew...they've been good,even after I dropped one in a tank.  I ended up going with the Hygger 24/7 for my larger tank last year, and I've been extremely happy with that choice, too.  Not saying the more expensive lights don't have something going for them (I wouldn't know!), but I've been really happy with my budget lights so far!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It may be a bit more expensive, but I’d go with a Finnex stingray if you can find one. Otherwise the stingray 2 is superior to both of the lights listed above. I’ve had one for 2 years with no issues and the par rating is excellent. I’ve purchased cheaper lights and although they do work, I instantly regretted spending $1 on a cheaper light. In my opinion, it’s not comparable. Good luck!