Betta with fin rot spreading along body

tzahroxi

About a month ago my betta developed finrot and his dorsal fin had almost completely rotted away, i started treating him with mardel maracyn. after a few treatments of this, there was no improvement. i moved him out of his display tank and into a 10 gallon quarantine tank and started treating him with metroplex. i set the tank up as best i could. i had to but a new tank because my other quarantine tank was occupied with a betta with ich. i did take some filter media from my main tank and put it into the filter of this one to speed up its cycle. unfortunatly i ran into some health problems and i have been unable to take care of dat are much as i normally would have and could only get up to feed and medicate his tank. im feeling better now but when i got a good look at him he looked awful. the rot has spread down his sides and it look like the flesh is being striped away (its had to see in the picture but the fuzzy looking areas under his dorsal fin should be blue). the areas are fuzzy and there are no scales, and it seems like a few millimeters of flesh under the scales are gone. i dont know what to do. i did a 30% water change and started dosing him with neoplex. he is still active and will come up to me to greet me, although he keeps hiding his side that is the worse from me. he eats well still.

ph: 6.8
nitrates: 20-30ppm
nitrites: 0
ammonia: .5 ppm (normally 0 but my tap water has some ammonia in it)
hardness: 100+
kh: 40
temperature: 78*c

IMG_5601.jpg

IMG_5600.jpg

IMG_5602.jpg

In severe cases of fin rot when it's spreading to the body you need to act fast to stop it's spread as it can kill your fish at his point most case of fin and body are gram negative bacterial that why maracyn didn't work as that treats gram positive bacterial infections I would recommend treating with kanaplex and furan2 together and add some aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 2 gallons the salt will help with Gill function and add essential electrolytes with the ammonia problems your having I would keep dosing prime or Fritz complete every 24hr to detoxify any ammonia while treating as ammonia will make it difficult for him to fight of the infection slow down his recovery you could prepare water in a large bin or bucket the day before and run a heater to get temperature the same with  and a filter seachems matrix to remove ammonia the day before you do your water change

Edited by Colu

On 10/28/2021 at 11:50 AM, Colu said:

AAP aquatronics furacyn  or you can get aquatics foods premium flake medicated  with nitrofurazone the active ingredient in furan2

Screenshot_20210918-020230~2.png

Screenshot_20211027-054337~2.png

i got the flakes as the capsules were not available that i could find. he won't eat them though. ive been treating him with the kanaplex but its only got worse. the rot spread to his mouth and he cant keep pellets down if he even manages to eat them. i dont know what to do.

I would up the aquarium salt to 1 table spoon for 1 gallon keep treating with the kanaplex you could add seachems garlic guard to the flakes to encourage him to eat the medicated food if he can't eat them than I would  add Methylene blue in conjunction with the aquarium salt and kanaplex but  if you have done a full course of kanaplex and your seeing no improvement I would switch to a different antibiotic treatment such as  seachems neoplex or API fin and body cure  or maracyn2 @tzahroxi

Edited by Colu

On 11/4/2021 at 6:41 PM, Colu said:

I would up the aquarium salt to 1 table spoon for 1 gallon keep treating with the kanaplex you could add seachems garlic guard to the flakes to encourage him to eat the medicated food if he can't eat them than I would  add Methylene blue in conjunction with the aquarium salt and kanaplex but  if you have done a full course of kanaplex and your seeing no improvement I would switch to a different antibiotic treatment such as  seachems neoplex or API fin and body cure  or maracyn2 @tzahroxi

currently treating with neoplex right now, i can up the salt though