What is this algae and how do I remove?

Hello all, I have a 14g cube with some ludwgia super reds, rotala indica's, temple,  and a couple of others I can't remember. The tank has been going now for 5 months, and it was planted from the beginning. This is the light that I have, it was set to be on for 10 hours.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08SBPVXCW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

For a while I could not keep my ludwigias from shedding their leaves and only keeping the very top leaves. So I thought added flourish tabs would be a good idea, and those were added on Sep 11. Then me being inpatient and crazy about the hobby, I bought the Coop's all in one fert and started dosing that on Oct 2nd, and then once more on the 9th. I had to fly out for a funeral on the 9th and didnt return until the 16th. When I got back home, I saw my plants had this black algae on them. I have since turned my light down to 8 hours a day starting at 10am.

Is this too much nutrients or too much light? If I buy a brighter light will I need to begin re-dosing with the fertilizer?

IMG_7964.jpeg

IMG_7965.jpeg

IMG_7966.jpeg

On 10/27/2021 at 8:36 AM, Mustangfreak said:

Hello all, I have a 14g cube with some ludwgia super reds, rotala indica's, temple,  and a couple of others I can't remember. The tank has been going now for 5 months, and it was planted from the beginning. This is the light that I have, it was set to be on for 10 hours.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08SBPVXCW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

For a while I could not keep my ludwigias from shedding their leaves and only keeping the very top leaves. So I thought added flourish tabs would be a good idea, and those were added on Sep 11. Then me being inpatient and crazy about the hobby, I bought the Coop's all in one fert and started dosing that on Oct 2nd, and then once more on the 9th. I had to fly out for a funeral on the 9th and didnt return until the 16th. When I got back home, I saw my plants had this black algae on them. I have since turned my light down to 8 hours a day starting at 10am.

Is this too much nutrients or too much light? If I buy a brighter light will I need to begin re-dosing with the fertilizer?

IMG_7964.jpeg

IMG_7965.jpeg

IMG_7966.jpeg

Do you have any algae eaters in the tank? I find that my shrimp and snails clean the plants of algae very well. My Malaysian trumpet snails do a good job. You can also get a nerite snail. Or, you can lightly scrub the plants with a toothbrush to get rid of the algae. 

On 10/27/2021 at 11:33 AM, FishPlanet said:

Do you have any algae eaters in the tank? I find that my shrimp and snails clean the plants of algae very well. My Malaysian trumpet snails do a good job. You can also get a nerite snail. Or, you can lightly scrub the plants with a toothbrush to get rid of the algae. 

I don't have any algae eaters right now. I have mystery snails alredy but I know they dont really eat algae. I may get a couple of nerites though!

On 10/27/2021 at 11:48 AM, lefty o said:

looking at the plants in the photo's, id say you need a bit more fertilizer, and a bit less light.

Really? so go back to dosing once a week with the shorter light schedule?

• Like 1

I have a similar-looking algae (although I would describe it as brownish; it's different from the green algae that I get on the tank sides).  It comes right off with a toothbrush, but seems to grow back quickly.  I only have my light on for 8 hours a day, with a two-hour break in the middle, and dose my five-gallon tank twice a week with Easy Green.  

• Like 1