Camallanus in Guppies how to treat?

Marnol D

(thought I posted this in diseases and posted it in general by mistake)

Hello,

First lets start with  parameters

0 ammonia

0 nitrite

~20ppm+ nitrate

7.8 ph

75F temp

Additives: Easy Green liquid fert, easy carbon, equilibrium, catappa leave, 

Background: A few of my guppies looked to be wasting away and were colorless (after a bacteria bloom my cycle crashed )so I begin to try and figure out what the issue was. At first I suspect it was nitrite poisoning so I dosed seachem prime and water changed till I read 0. I started adding equilibrium /baking soda, catappa leaves, and salt to see if that would help them. (fun fact it did and their colors seemed to really pop and the healthy ones looked healthier even). Then I also noticed (on one of the guppies that looked the worst )what I believe is Camallanus (reddish works) at the backend of the guppies.

Problem: After doing what I did in the background the guppies started looking healthier and acting better but I dont know how to treat for the Camallanus. What can I order or go out and buy? All I have on hand is salt (aquarium and Epsom)

Edited by Marnol D

Aquarium co op has an article about this.

Relevant quote:

Camallanus red worms are easier to spot since you can visually see small, red worms sticking out of the fish’s anus. In order to stop the epidemic, treat the fish with a dewormer that contains the active ingredient of levamisole or flubendazole (such as Fritz Expel-P or Thomas Labs Fish Bendazole). These medications work by paralyzing the adult worms so that they can be expelled by the fish and removed using an aquarium siphon. Two to three weeks after the initial treatment, dose the tank again with the dewormer to deal with any remaining parasites.

• Like 1

Levamisole works to treat camallanus, however I don't know that a sufficient dosage is being supplied to every fish if you are just dosing with a food. A fish could be choosing not to eat, or not enough levamisole may be present in the amount consumed to effectively work on the worms. I always treat the whole volume of the tank water. Fish can't be picky and sabotage themselves about that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So I've dealt with these worms three times now. Levamisole has been somewhat successful. I believe it has always paralyzed the worms, however I had one case where the fish couldn't pass them. I have mixed up fenbendazole flakes and fed them to guppies and had 100% success with that.

• Like 1

Levamisole But you’ll need to gravel vac and then does it again in two weeks to stun any of the eggs that may have hatched out. Then gravel vac again. I’ve had success with this method. Basically that tanks new life will be a lot of gravel vacing till you clear the worms. But at least in my Angelfish I have found the worms to not be lethal.  

Edited by FrostiesFishes