Neolamrolugus multifasciatus tank size and tank size

Johannes

On 10/26/2021 at 6:55 AM, Manny said:

@Johannes The only issue I see with the said setup is what happens when the multies breed? Eventually 15 gallons will be way too small for breeding multies. I’ve had them in a 75 and they filled it within a year. 

A good breeding fish for profit scenario. I know at least in my area multies always sell well at club meetings, swaps and auctions. The hardest part is getting them out of the tank LOL

• Like 1

@Andy's Fish Den what I would do is as soon as they retreat to their shells, just pull the shell out, place in a bucket, then the tricky part becomes removing the shell from the bucket. Definitely easier working in a bucket rather than mucking around in the aquarium and kicking up detritus or spooking the other fish. From my experience, a smaller aquarium doesn’t produce as many shellies as a larger one, even a 40 breeder is fairly perfect. Hence, they can fill a 15, but I don’t think it will produce enough to sell to a LFS. Also their natural behaviors are fascinating and are easily observed with a larger setup. 
It could be done in a 15, but you could also heat a pizza with a match, doesn’t mean it’s the best idea. 

@Manny You can also create a little basket or box out of egg create / diffuser. Put the shells in that and suspend it up near the surface of the tank. (I suction cup mine 3/4 of the way up).

The multis don't prefer being elevated. When you leave and they come out of their shells, they will abandon the elevated shells and swim to the bottom.

Of course, you need a second tank to do this. But I guess this could work in a bucket just as easily. 

Edited by tolstoy21
  • Like 1