Betta chronic tail biting

PuffTheMagicFish

Hi guys,

I've had a double tail betta for 1.5 years in a fully planted 10 gallon Walstad-style tank. His only tankmates are red cherry shrimp and nerite snails. There are no sharp edges in his tank. For the past 6 months, he has been biting his tail all the time. There will be round sections gone from his tail/fins that clearly look like fish bites. He has a really hard time swimming when his fins are full length, and I think he gets frustrated. His fins then get infected, I treat him for fin rot, his fins grow back, he bites them again, and the cycle repeats. I have used salt, antibiotics, and stress coat. Is there anything I can do?

Tank Parameters:

Temp: 76 F

pH: 7.5

Ammonia and Nitrites: 0 ppm

Nitrates: 5 ppm

Thanks!

Do you have a picture of the tank?

Plants may need a trimming to ease his frustration when swimming through them. How often do you do a water change?

My Veiltail used to bite his fins when stressed, like if I was out of town for a week, and they would grow back. I just made sure to do water changes and keep the water quality as high as possible (regardless of parameters) and never needed medication.

Edited by eatyourpeas

Mmm, I wonder if he is trying to swim through the tangle of plants on the center front and bottom of the tank. Perhaps trying to open up that area a bit? Or putting food away from that area? If that doesn't change his biting, you may need to just keep an eye out for water quality so he does not get fin rot. I am not super experienced with Bettas, but when mine set his mind on doing something a certain way, there was no talking him out of it. Sorry I can't offer more helpful advice. He is beautiful!

Edited by eatyourpeas