This Story Will Surprise No One (Platy Breeding Setup)

Hobbit

On 2/4/2022 at 10:32 AM, eatyourpeas said:

I love your setup! @Hobbit, you just made me realize that I could never breed fishies. It is the sure fire way of ending with a serious case of MTS!!!🤪

On 2/4/2022 at 10:39 AM, Hobbit said:

@eatyourpeas that’s EXACTLY what happens! 🤣

Especially when trying to responsibly not allowing inbreeding, it gets complicated. I have a spreadsheet to keep up with which lines are in which tanks (13 tanks, 3 lines of the wild endler phenotype and currently 2 lines of guppy x endler "blues")....

It's easier to just harem breed... but.

The responsible geneticist in me just can't do harem style breeding for more than a few generations. 

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

The breeding setup contest for our Nerm Week celebrations reminded me that I had this thread. 😄 So I figured I’d post a small update.

Here’s the setup now:

CB4233E0-B5C3-4FD1-A8A5-20C33C2BDEE3.jpeg.d10cc47bdea2f5bb7066bde25e8643fa.jpeg

The biggest and probably most important change I’ve made in terms of the physical setup is that I’ve added an air stone to every compartment. I was having an issue with fin rot in the middle compartment, and my best guess is that the water wasn’t circulating enough and was getting particularly foul near the bottom. The middle compartment’s air stone is encased in a home-made air lift tube to try to get the water circulating more. I’m also keeping the water level lower so I don’t get loud bubbling from the fry slurpers.

The ladies have definitely slowed down their baby-making, even though they live with adult males now. I think a lot of babies end up in the pothos roots or floating plants rather than the fry slurper and end up getting eaten. But I also think the females just aren’t producing as much. I’ve been feeding less live food, so that might be part of it. The slower pace isn’t a bad thing, though! 😄 I’m down to just two grow-out tanks now (a 10g and a 20g) and I should be able to get rid of the 10g soon.

• Like 1