Corydoras: Critical mass ?

DebD

I seem to have the opposite issue with breeding my Bandit cories. The 2nd photo are the brood I'm trading/selling with a couple LFS. However, he 1st photo is my 29g tank with my main school & where I have been removing eggs as birth control.  I thought I missed a couple eggs but it turns out the 2 or 3 lil ones I saw turned into about 9-12. 😳 ....

Do colonies hit critical mass ? I'm trying to control the amount in the tank for obvious reasons. There is also a bn and 7 rasboras and the 4 adults, 2 older juveniles and 9? young. I'd just like them to slow their roll so to speak 😁

20211024_115936.jpg

20210922_141445.jpg

Edited by DebD
  • Like 1

On 10/24/2021 at 6:21 PM, CalmedByFish said:

I humbly admit that even with Google's help, I don't know what the question is about them reaching critical mass. Help?

Meanwhile, at least the babies are cute! 🙂 

Do they slow down breeding as the tank gets fuller (critical mass) ?? Or is there a way to get them to calm down with the egg laying ?

On 10/24/2021 at 8:48 PM, DebD said:

Do they slow down breeding as the tank gets fuller (critical mass) ?? Or is there a way to get them to calm down with the egg laying ?

Ohhh. That's super interesting. I'm following now, just in hopes of finding out. Maybe someone knows.

I wonder if you could hunt the internet to make a list of what prompts them to breed, then try to give them the opposites. (Except clean water and such, ya know.) Like maybe food and temperature can be comfortable without being great for spending energy on reproduction.

Or just turn off the slow jazz, and turn on the lights. 😂

• Haha 1

On 10/25/2021 at 2:33 AM, CalmedByFish said:

I wonder if you could hunt the internet to make a list of what prompts them to breed, then try to give them the opposites. (Except clean water and such, ya know.) Like maybe food and temperature can be comfortable without being great for spending energy on reproduction.

Or just turn off the slow jazz, and turn on the lights. 😂

🤣 well I started doing H2O changes with matched or slightly warmer water.  Although I wonder if the fact I'm at a slightly higher elevation 1600ft as part of the Pocono mountains and we get swings in air pressure 🤷‍♀️

• Like 1

There will likely be reduced survival rates in the fry since there will be more fish to eat them and eat eggs.  At least that’s what happened with my bronze cories in a 20 gallon tank.  To discourage breeding, I would keep them at the low end of their optimal temperature range (not their tolerated range, their optimal range).

I would make certain to NOT use cooler water during water changes.  Use the same to slightly warmer water.  I would try to NOT do water changes just prior to big weather changes/storms.  Stop feeding live foods or extra meaty foods as much as is possible while still maintaining their health.  Basically avoid anything that can be breeding triggers or do the opposite.

I don’t know of anything that will 100% prevent cories from breeding once they get rolling. Sometimes it’s easier to just remove and grow out babies, then sell locally or find a wholesaler that will buy from local breeders.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 10/25/2021 at 11:35 AM, Odd Duck said:

There will likely be reduced survival rates in the fry since there will be more fish to eat them and eat eggs.  At least that’s what happened with my bronze cories in a 20 gallon tank.  To discourage breeding, I would keep them at the low end of their optimal temperature range (not their tolerated range, their optimal range).

I would make certain to NOT use cooler water during water changes.  Use the same to slightly warmer water.  I would try to NOT do water changes just prior to big weather changes/storms.  Stop feeding live foods or extra meaty foods as much as is possible while still maintaining their health.  Basically avoid anything that can be breeding triggers or do the opposite.

I don’t know of anything that will 100% prevent cories from breeding once they get rolling. Sometimes it’s easier to just remove and grow out babies, then sell locally or find a wholesaler that will buy from local breeders.

Thank you.  Most of that is what I am doing with the water changes. Some weeks the weather does not cooperate. I do have at least 2 places that will take the fry but as you know it takes about 3-4 mo to get them to a decent sale size. I'll skip the the frozen/live for awhile and just keep playing cory hide and seek, peeling their lil egg boogies off everything 😉

Edited by DebD
  • Haha 2

I had 6 pandas turn to 150 ish in 6 months. Once they start they keep going it is just a matter of getting the eggs eaten before they all get to fry. But that is easier said than done in my experience. I do not think they slow to the environment I believe they start and never stop based on my group. 

I would limit the cover for eggs/fry and do less frequent feedings to make eggs more worth eating by the adults and the other fish. I would try and maximize this by not feeding prior to or after the water change that likely fires them all up. 

My issue was tons of Java moss and anubias in a 55. Explains why corys are in schools of thousands or more in the wild though. 

Edited by mountaintoppufferkeeper
  • Like 3

My cory cats have been laying eggs since about a month after I got them. The peppered in particular, with the bronze/albinos doing a bit of mating as well. 

I'm fairly certain that my Colombian tetras and yoyo loach are keeping the eggs from becoming fry, and any surviving fry from reaching the juvenile stage.

Edited by AndEEss
  • Like 1

I'm not sure my harlequin rasboras will eat eggs on the sides. Mostly I find eggs on my Amazon sword and the sides. They've taken to putting them up under the ridge of the aquarium so I've lowered the water line. 

This is a 29g tank.  I'm thinking about adding a dwarf gourami or something to help with natural selection. Suggestions appreciated