DUNE: Postwatch Thread [SPOILERS]

Fish Folk

Some of my opinions here...

I think that the Casting was excellent. Timothée Chalamet as Paul Atreides was pitch perfect. His transformation from an effete prince to a young messiah works flawlessly. Rebecca Ferguson worked well, though I am still unclear how immersed she has ever made herself with the source material. In all interviews, she came off sounding like she just couldn't digest Herbert. I always appreciated the electric intensity of her in-the-moment parts, but she does not exude an awareness of the past / future thread into which her character and this story are all intricately woven. Oscar Isaac, Jason MoMoa, Stellan Skarsgård, Josh Brolin, Dave Bautista, Javier Bardem and Sharon Duncan-Brewster were all excellently cast. Each of their characters fit elegantly into the film.

The overall Cinematography was utterly breathtaking. Everything from sequences like the rise of planetary transport ships from under the oceans of Caladan to attack fleet ships pouring out like spores from the gaping mouth of the Holtzman drive engines to even the "Lawrence of Arabia"-like scene in the outdoor court on Arakkis when Paul first arrives and goes out for a stroll by himself . . . everything was a fine art.

One thing that Villeneuve distinguished himself with was his restraint. He never really bothered to show us the Emperor nor the Guild Navigators. And even Chani, for as much as she appears in Paul's visions, is treated with natural limitations. The only character where I felt I missed something was Baron Vladimir Harkonnen. He is such a savage person, I felt that I wanted some small token of his wildness. Both the 1984 David Lynch "Dune" and the 2000 TV Mini Series present the Baron as a grotesque, vocal sociopath. Villeneuve's Baron Harkonnen is a more subtle "Sith-lord" sort of character. I found it very interesting that Beast Rabban was such a counter-balancing, emotionally visceral character compared to the Apocalypse Now  / Marlon Brando inspired madness of the Baron. On the topic of restraint, note also that Feyd Rautha never appears in this first installment -- as does neither Princess Irulan.

Just a few shorter sequences for reflection... (1) Gom Jabbar scene: the most effective pieces were the displays of Lady Jessica's distress, and Paul's rise of will in resistance to the test of pain. (2) Sardaukar attack: excellently envisioned, a stealth team of assassins. Despite my preparation, I think it is still difficult for viewers to appreciate the challenges of filming battle sequences in faithful keeping with Herbert's vision of shield technology. (3) Paul's Blade Training: the shield tech works  perfect in this adaptation, and the training sequence with Gurney Halleck was impressive.(4) Sand worms of Arakkis: the Shai-hulud encounters will only really make sense, I believe, in an IMAX Theatre. It is hard to bring something four football fields long alive in a size-reference-less desert context.

Well, I'll add thank the maker Denis Villeneuve wants none of the internal monologue that plagued David Lynch's adaptation!

• Like 2

The music was spot on, the film is absolutely BEAUTIFUL.   

I found Timothée Chalamet a bit wooden at first, but he grew on me and I agree that he does fit.

My biggest compliment is the writing allows a non-Dune reader to understand what's going on.   Lynch's original film is still great, but without any working knowledge of Dune it got really confusing.   This wasn't an easy task, but the writers handled it.   

We really enjoyed it, and I hunger for the next chapter!

• Like 2

Took my 14 yr old son to watch DUNE tonight in the Theatre. He liked it well enough, and was glad for how I'd prepped him. He was not thrilled to learn that I'd already watched it twice. He feels like that's kind of like rewatching a football (soccer) match after it's already been played. With movies, I totally disagree with him. But it is what it is.

I came away with a strong sense of the dual birthrights Paul carries: Atreides and Bene Geserit. Paul has to deal with being the Duke, as well as with being whatever the presence of the voices past and future will prove to mean. The whole movie is really about him figuring out how to saddle that while trying to survive and watching everyone he has ever loved die.

Just got back from watching. It was great to see a cinema so full after COVID and lack of decent releases I was beginning to worry about the local cinemas keeping going. 

Anyway really enjoyed it stunning film , I agree that this version covered the politics of the situation better than the lynch version and it was much less confusing. (Although I believe lynch's original cut was to 5hrs long which I can believe so maybe to much got removed in the release edit). I love the concept of the Bene Geserit didn't we all try to practice the voice as kids? And " don't fear the fear, fear is the mind killer" was the pre exam mantra.

Anyway certainly looking forward to the 2nd half.

• Like 2

On 10/22/2021 at 7:21 AM, HH Morant said:

No Sting?

This was legitimately my main issue with the film. My husband thinks I'm ridiculous. I'm a huge Sting fan. Actually saw him live in Feb of 2020 in his "The Last Ship" play.

Aside from the obvious lack of the beauty that is Sting, even in his roll... where his death is commemorated by the sound effect of crashing bowling pins as the floor splits. I can't unhear that sound. My husband and I joked about it when we were dating so long ago while we were participating in a Dune themed drinking game that was insane... No further comment on that.

I liked this new take on Dune, only after rewatching for a second time. I'm still split to be honest. It lacked some of that build that I expected. But I had to look at it differently and appreciate it for what it is and how beautiful the film is. The music is on point. I just think it could have been, different, not better per say, just different, but that's because I partly expected a remake of the classic Dune movie set. I don't know why I did, I saw the trailers... I do look forward to another chapter if it actually happens.

• Like 1

On 11/3/2021 at 3:46 PM, Minanora said:

This was legitimately my main issue with the film. My husband thinks I'm ridiculous. I'm a huge Sting fan. Actually saw him live in Feb of 2020 in his "The Last Ship" play.

Aside from the obvious lack of the beauty that is Sting, even in his roll... where his death is commemorated by the sound effect of crashing bowling pins as the floor splits. I can't unhear that sound. My husband and I joked about it when we were dating so long ago while we were participating in a Dune themed drinking game that was insane... No further comment on that.

I liked this new take on Dune, only after rewatching for a second time. I'm still split to be honest. It lacked some of that build that I expected. But I had to look at it differently and appreciate it for what it is and how beautiful the film is. The music is on point. I just think it could have been, different, not better per say, just different, but that's because I partly expected a remake of the classic Dune movie set. I don't know why I did, I saw the trailers... I do look forward to another chapter if it actually happens.

Excellent review! I, too, love Sting's music. My wife and I enjoyed him live when he was traveling with the orchestra scored as backup for his band. Amazing.

I've enjoyed rewatching the "Spice Diver Redux" of Dune 1984, free to watch on YouTube. I think the selections and re-editing actually are much more perceptive than the David Lynch original cut. But I digress...

I've watched the new DUNE at least 3 times . . . maybe 4 times. The cinematographic hat-tipping to Lawrence of Arabia is excellent, in my opinion. I think that Timothée Chalamet does a phenomenal job of embodying Paul Atredes. I wish, though, that the Baron Harkonen might have been made a bit more intense. The scene from prison planet Salusa Secundus when the Sardukar are commissioned to strengthen House Harkonen as they sack House Atredes on Planet Arrakis is pretty epic in the new film. I honestly wouldn't mind a longer director's cut someday.

Part 2 has been green-lit! So we will get to see at least one more leg of the epic drama...

• Like 1

On 11/3/2021 at 12:57 PM, Fish Folk said:

The scene from prison planet Salusa Secundus when the Sardukar are commissioned to strengthen House Harkonen as they sack House Atredes on Planet Arrakis is pretty epic in the new film. I honestly wouldn't mind a longer director's cut someday.

Totally agree with all of this, and then some, but YES! I do think the casting for this film was perfect. Probably going to dig through the layers of books in our bookcases to relive the glory of the books. At least I think we have them all...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

It finally came to the little theater in our village. I’m impressed with the overall cinematography and CGI. I totally enjoyed the entire film, but I don’t think Jason Moma is in anyway catlike as described by Herbert. His fight scenes were almost funny at some points. I think I would have liked him much better as a baddie. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...